Chapter 21 Joycelyn

Happy Readings!

"Mr. Meany? I think you broke mommy," Annika's sweet, caring voice takes me out of my daze. I was rendered speechless when he handed me the message I sent. I am not a newbie, nor am I a curious beaver who just wants to test out what it feels like to hack. No. No. No. I am the best at what I do; that's a fact.

To be handed this was like receiving a hard slap to the face. The only thing left for me to do was to glare at Frost through the rearview mirror. Frost sent me a wink as he set his attention back on the road. I rolled my eyes. I took the phone and browsed through it until I found the Netflix app on it. After clicking on the kids' section, I handed it to Annika.

"So tell me? How'd you know I was hacking the TV?" I asked Frost. He glimpsed at me for a moment and returned his attention to the road. "I couldn't find anything on you. The only lead I had was from Travis, working as your employee. Long story short: you had to be a hacker," Frosts say with a shrug of his shoulder.

"Fine. Why take us back. You said it yourself; people are going to be after us. Why not let us go?" Frost remained silent. I breathed out a breath of air before looking out the mirror. I guess not even he has the answer.

"¿Está mal querer algo que no puedes tener?"(Is it wrong to want something you can't have?) Frost finally spoke. His words held a certain sadness to them as he looked at me through the rearview mirror. We stare at each other for a moment.

"You have nice hair!" Annika reaches out to touch the man's hair, but the seatbelt stops her. Annika awws, pouting her lips. "Mommy, I wanna touch his hair," The guy looked back and gave Annika a wry smile. He then looked at Frost.

"What's your name? Can I call you mister...umm," Annika tapped her chin pensively. "Let's see. There is Evil Lady, Mr. Meany, Mr. Baldy, Mr. Tattoo guy," Annika started mentioning the names she gave Frost's brothers. "Mr. Nice Hair. Hmm! It can use some work," That got a laugh out of us.

"What is your name?" I asked, slightly leaning over. The guy looked at Frost. I noticed that Frost had a tight grip on the steering wheel. "She asked you a question, man, aren't you going to answer," Frost sounded as if he forced those words out as his grip got tighter, his knuckles turning white.

"My name is Jose," Jose quickly said. Annika started to ask Jose and Annika a series of questions: favorite pet, favorite colors, how their day was. Jose was a bit reluctant to answer. He would often glimpse at Frost before answering. I wonder what that's about.

The car suddenly jerked forward. The hit was hard, and as a reflex, I held on hand in front of Annika. "Mommy!?" I hush Annika, attending to her. Before I look back to see what was wrong with the idiot in the back of us, a car hits us on the side where Annika was seated. Annika screams again, and I used my body to protect her from any injuries but kept her strapped in.

Frost starts to speed up, and so did the cars next to us and behind us. Car 3 on our left tries to ram into us again, but Frost swerves away from it. He slams into car 2 that's on our right. Car 2 rolls down their windows. A man with too many piercings, in my opinion, sticks his gun out, but before he can fire, Jose shoots him.

Annika screams, and I quickly tend to her. Frost kept swerving back and front, trying his utmost not to let the other cars hit us. It was proven difficult when he wanted to shoot. I told Annika to close her eyes and cover her ears. Jose kept the people on the left of us, the side Annika is in, away from the car. To say that he was quick with how he kept moving back and forth was an understatement.

"Fuck!" Frost shouted, slamming his palm on the wheel. A thought came to me, a risky one at that. "Baby, I need you to listen to me, okay. Stay low. Keep your eyes and ears covered okay. You're going to be okay," I told Annika, her face reddened from the screaming and crying. These assholes have my baby girl terrified. "I'm scared!" Annika shouted. She screamed when she heard the gunshots go off.

"I know. But you have to be brave for me right now. Can you do that?" I asked her. She shook her head, saying yes. I tell her to do what I said and waited for her to do so. I took a deep breath before I crawled my way to the front and sat on Frost. Alright. Let's see what this baby can really do.

Let me know what you think by commenting and voting.