Chapter 49 Joycelyn

Happy Readings!

What the actual fuck.

That was the most formal, politest way to tell someone to fuck off. I look towards Rosette as she looks at me. I'm sure she is thinking the same thing that I am. I'm sure we both have the same shocked face. We immediately look back at Peter and Brandon.

Peter's lips twitch as he looks down at Brandon's hand. I inched closer to both of them, and Rosette followed my movement.

Should I call for Jose and Emmanuel? I tried communicating with Rosette with my eyes. She opens her eyes wide and jots her head twice towards them, which means I shouldn't call them. Instead, I should ease the most visible tension ever.

Peter scoffs. "I look forward to having a good relationship as I continue to do what I've always done for them," He takes Brandon's hand in a firm shake but wenches a bit. Brandon smirks and says. "Sure. Of course, we wouldn't chase a friend away,"

Rosette and I look at each other with 'O' shape lips. Peter basically said he wouldn't let anyone come between Annika and me. And Brandon, even for someone his size, just showed his dominance.

Rosette showed me gritted teeth, and that's when I got up. "Alright, boys! how about we just dial it back a notch, yeah?"

'What was that?' I mouthed to Rosette. 'You're asking me!' mouthed back to me.

Brandon smirks before he salutes everyone and walks into the kitchen. We follow him with our eyes and see Jose and Emmanuel smirking.

"I don't like that kid," Peter says. "Because he bested you," Rosette says. "Anyways!" I breathed out. "It's fine. They have been really good to us, and Yukihira and I are talking through a few things," I tell them. I sighed, rubbing my forehead. I took a seat next to Rosette.

Peter sits next to me and rubs my back. I look at him, thankful and grateful for him. But soon, Brandon squeezed himself between Peter and me. Peter rolled his tongue inside his mouth and bit his lips.

"You had a long day. You should rest up," Brandon says but continues to look at Peter. "I like this kid. Direct but subtle at the same time," Rosette whispers in my ear.

"But I can stay, right?" Rosette asks, right after she whispers in my ear. One of her hands is in the air. I gave her a look. Really bitch.

"You'll have to ask Annika. She's still going on about protecting the peanuts," Brandon says as he glares at Emmanuel. We all do.

"Wait. Did you explain to her what Emmanuel meant?" I asked Brandon. "No. I just told her not to think about it until she's older," He shrugged his shoulder.

"Shouldn't you be asleep by now," Peter asks Brandon. "Well, it would be rude not to see guests off," Brandon says as he side-eyes Peter. Again Peter rolls his tongue inside his mouth.

You would think that Frost left Brandon here to act on his behalf. "Okay. Enough. Behave you too," I say.

"You guys can come by tomorrow. I was going to meet Trevor tomorrow at the office, but I think I'll stay home and handle Annika's school. I'm sure they are worried about her. I saw a few emails from them," I say.

With that, Peter and Rosette left.

The next day.

I was the first one up. I brewed a pot of coffee and took out my laptop to start work. The first thing I did was have a video call with Annika's school. I told a short version of what I told Peter and Rosette.

They were understanding over the matter.

One of the reasons I think they hadn't contacted the police is that sometimes I would leave town, weeks at times, for seminars or conventions, and I would take Annika with me.

Sometimes I notify them; sometimes, I don't. However, when I found time, I would always call and inform them about it.

Even so, Annika is always ahead in class. She's my bright little girl.

After talking with the school principal, I did some research on Frost, CEO of BioMix Corporation. BioMix has a mixture of biotechnology and bioengineering. His company webpage shows the different projects they took part in.

There are a few projects listed here that I heard about, and one was displayed at a convention in Dubai. And, if my memory is correct. Frost was not at that convention. Universe much?

I found out what day he married, who he works with, and the accusation against his family being art smugglers—all charges were dropped—pictures of him and Susan.

Oddly enough, I got a bit jealous seeing them together.

Anyways...

There were a few headlines about his divorce. The headlines read MR. PEREZ PUBLICLY DIVORCE; MRS. PEREZ WAS OUTED FOR CHEATING, DIVORCE; DIVORCE, AND CUTTING TIES; MRS. PEREZ REFUSES TO SIGN DIVORCE PAPERS. MRS. PEREZ DENIES DIVORCE.

It also had a video of Susan being surrounded and bombarded with questions. What caught my attention was her saying. "Yukihira and I aren't getting a divorce. Like every married couple, we're having a lover quarrel. He made a mistake, and we are currently working things out,"

Wooow.

I wondered if he had heard about this. Just as I closed the video, Annika and Brandon entered the kitchen. They both greet me with a hug and kiss.

I guess Jose or Emmanuel went to a late-night grocery store because the fridge had plenty of fresh vegetables. I made began making breakfast for everyone.

As I was making breakfast, frantic knocks came on the door. Emmanuel, Brandon, and Jose were quick on their feet.

Brandon held Annika safely behind him as I held them behind me. Emmanuel had his gun drawn as he stood protectively in front of his, ever so slowly moving us closer to the kitchen's back door.

I held my breath as Jose approached the front door cautiously.

Let me know what you think by commenting and voting.