Just Tired

Adrien didn't know what he walked into. Alya was yelling, Lila was crying, and half of the class was around Lila. Of course, Adrien rushed to Lila's side and she immediately clung to him, her nails painfully digging into his skin. 

He asked around what happened and apparently, something happened yesterday and he completely missed it all. That would also explain the midnight akuma that attacked. 

He was tired, stressed, and done. He just wanted to skip to the happy ending where everyone was friends. 

Needing a break from Lila, he tore his hand away and walked up the steps to Marinette and Felix's table. Oddly, Nathaniel was nearby, happily chatting with the other two as if they were friends. Were they? 

Their conversation hushed when they noticed the model in their presence. Adrien asked, "did you know what happened yesterday?" 

The three looked at each other, asking the others how to respond. Adrien was tired and all he wanted was an answer. 

Felix met his eyes and replied, "Cessaire and Rossi caused a commotion at the park." 

Adrien sighed. "What commotion?" Adrien really didn't want to tell them that it was probably their fault, even though they probably didn't know. He didn't want to reprimand them for it was too early and, again, he was tired. 

"Nino came by so he could film a music video for his school," Marinette answered. Adrien's eyes lit up at the mention of his best friend. The last time he had seen him, it was at the airport, wishing him luck. The two never really chatted that much for Nino always told Adrien that he was  "busy." If Adrien didn't know any better, he would say he was avoiding him. 

Adrien leaned forward, his tiredness being shooed away as his priorities suddenly switched. "Nino's here?" Adrien asked. He ignored Felix's mumbling about how Adrien would associate with people like him and only focused on Marinette's answer. 

Marinette fidgeted in her seat, not really knowing how to reply. Should she say yes? Would Nino mind? Nino didn't tell him he was coming to Adrien so maybe Nino didn't want him to know. "Well... He isn't here now," Marinette lied. Nino was still here but if Nino didn't want to tell Adrien, then she should respect that.

Adrien's eyes deflated and nodded. "I see..."

He let out a tired sigh. Everything was better in the earlier days when everyone was happy, Felix and Lila weren't here, he and Nino would have been friends, and Marinette was happy. Now, he was just tired. 

He turned to Marinette, his once emerald eyes beginning to dull, and said, "I'm sorry on behalf of Lila's and Alya's actions the other day."

Marinette was surprised the blonde would say such a thing. She was used to Adrien covering for himself and his friends instead. It wasn't new, but it was foreign and Marinette had forgotten how to respond to that. "Umm... Uh--"

"You don't have to apologize for them," Felix cut in. He was happy his cousin was taken initiative for his friend's mistake, but there was a problem. "It wasn't your fault. You do not have to apologize for the fault of others."

Adrien sighed. "As if they're going to apologize anyway..." he muttered. He glanced at them for another moment, his eyes lingering on Nathaniel before turning back. 

"Wait."

Adrien turned back to Marinette's call. 

"Would you, um..." Marinette gestured to the other seats in the back. "Take a rest? First period still hasn't started."

Adrien blinked. After he ignored her for so long, after how he hadn't stood up for her, she was still kind. He made a smile for Marinette, soft peach lips spreading on his cheeks. "Thank you," he said, going back up. He slipped into the seat and yawned, lowering his head down and closing his eyes. 

Adiren was just tired.