Overheard

"You only got lucky because you were together. Neither of you stand a chance alone," Kenma said, smiling at the both of you as if to tell you that he is still better than both of you one on one.

You looked up at Kuroo, who was still sitting very close to you, and smiled, thinking about Kenma's statement. You must have been a little more tipsy than you initially realized, because as you did this, you stumbled a bit and fell into his chest. Even if the only reason we won was because we paired up, I still beat Kenma for the first time. Maybe we do make a good pair.

Kuroo's chest was warm and firm as you listened to his heart beating in your ear. His broad shoulders made you feel like he could protect you in any situation if necessary. You paused there for a brief moment, as you let your thoughts swirl from drunkenness. I still have feelings for him. Even now. Even after everything that happened.

"What?" Kuroo asked.

"Sorry," you stammered out, realizing you must have inadvertantly said your thoughts outloud.

"No, tell me. I really couldn't hear what you said."

"It's nothing. I just need to go to the bathroom," you said, quickly changing the subject as you stood up.

As you sat down on the toilet, you pondered to yourself about the events that happened that day. Part of you was freaking out because he might have heard what you were saying, but in general you were definitely feeling a lot better. Even though it had only been a little over a week since the break up, it was like your ex was a distant memory already. Even the hurt that you had been feeling from the separation seemed to have faded significantly since the morning. It probably helped that you no longer had any romantic feelings about him after finding out what he did. Plus, you and Kuroo seemed to be on much better terms now. Actually getting along as friends. But if you had to admit it, you wanted more.

You got up and washed your hands, still stumbling a bit from the alcohol. As you strolled through your bedroom, the living room came into partial view and you overheard a conversation between Kuroo and Kenma that made you stop.

"I need to tell her that I don't want to be with her because I have feelings for someone else," Kuroo said. You thought maybe for a brief second that you misheard, but it was plain as day.

"You sure that she likes you?"

"I mean, it's not like you can deny it after what she said just now?"

"Yeah," Kenma answered, "Very true. Just let her off gently. You don't want to cause issues."

You felt ill all of a sudden and ran back into the bathroom, throwing up as soon as you got back to the toilet.

You finally thought you had moved on and could have feelings for someone else. But it was obviously one sided. You should have expected it from Kuroo. It's not like he had been nice all along, he was a complete jerk to you until that afternoon. Of course, he wouldn't return your feelings.

As you wiped your mouth and rinsed it out with water, you decided that you no longer wanted to hang out with everyone. But more than anything you didn't want him to see that he got under your skin, so you strolled out into the living room with a big smile plastered across your face.

"Everything okay?" Violet asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," you lied, trying you best to wink, but failing in your drunkenness. "Just drank a little too much."

You looked over at the crowded couch and decided to sit at the chair that was next to Kenma.

"Do you want to trade spots?" Kenma offered, standing up to offer you the seat next to Kuroo.

"Nah, I'm good."

"You sure?"

"I'm probably going to lay down in a few minutes anyways. I'll just watch you guys play."

You looked over at Violet, who seemed to have a look on concern on her face. She must have heard the whole conversation between Kuroo and Kenma while you were gone. You couldn't tell if she was concerned because she wanted to tell you or if she was concerned that you would find out about the conversation. You were hoping that you were good enough friends that it would be the former. But you would have to find out sometime tomorrow. Right now, all you wanted to do was to just lay down in bed and be alone.

You watched them play MarioKart for a few rounds, looking at the screen the entire time, just so you wouldn't have to make eye contact with Kuroo. Finally, you felt enough time had passed that you could go off to bed and have it not be considered rude and got up to leave.

"Night everyone," you said, not bothering to look at anyone as you snuck back into you room and plopped into the bed, saddened by how the rest of the night turned out.

° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

The next morning at work, you decided that you were just going to talk to Violet about the conversation you overheard. "So who was the other girl that Kuroo talking about yesterday when I was in the bathroom?"

"Oh, you heard?" Violet questioned.

"Yeah."

"I think he was talking about Kanoka. She's the one that came over the other night."

Your heart sank. You knew it was too good to be true. Of course Kuroo had someone else he liked. You felt stupid for thinking that it was anything more than it was. Nothing actually happened that would make you believe that he had any feelings at all for you. It wasn't like he made a move on your or anything.

It's probably just best to avoid him again. I don't need him to tell me that he's into someone else. And if he does try to tell me he's into someone else, I'll just tell him I was drunk and didn't mean it when I said that I had feelings for him.