Avoiding

After work the next day, you quickly made an afternoon snack before heading off to the bathroom to shower. Luckily Kuroo was still at work, so you were able take your time before heading off to your room. You knew that eventually you would have to see him, but that didn't mean you wanted to run into him right away. It was probably best to just avoid him for at least a few days and hope that he didn't find a need to confront you about not sharing the same feelings towards you.

Later, as you laid down on your bed, you heard Kuroo enter the apartment. It was muted, so you really couldn't understand what was said, but he had a brief conversation with Kenma in the living room before you heard him go into his room.

A few minutes later you could hear him knocking on the door that lead from his room into the bathroom you shared before entering.

It's not a big deal, he just probably wants to shower after work. It's not like he will knock on my ---

No sooner had the thought popped into your head, than you heard a knock on the door that lead to your room.

Should I answer? Or just pretend I'm sleeping or something. I really don't want to deal with this right now.

You decided to not answer and a few seconds later you heard the knob turn, so you quickly shut your eyes and pretended to sleep.

He seemed to stand in what you assumed was the doorway for what felt like forever. You felt yourself tense up, not sure if he was going to walk over to you to wake you up or if he was going to leave. Eventually, after around a minute, he went back into the bathroom and closed the door behind him without saying a word.

You heard the shower turn on and the water start to fall on him before you felt yourself actually relax again.

"Guess I should probably just stick to silent activities for the next few hours until its bedtime," you thought as you picked up your phone and started to scroll.

After a few hours of scrolling and reading, you realized that you were starving, so much so that your stomach was growling. You were going to need to leave your room in order to get something for dinner. You pressed your ear up against the door, trying to see if you could hear anyone in the living room/kitchen area. Luckily it was silent, so you slowly opened the door and quietly strolled over to the kitchen and dug through the cabinets, looking for some instant ramen that you could make quickly before returning to your room.

You kept glancing back at Kuroo's room, expecting him to pop out at any moment. That's when you heard his voice behind you, coming from the direction of Kenma's room.

"Looking for me?" he asked. "I was just playing with Kenma on his live stream."

"Uh...," you stammered. "N-no."

"Oh, I thought I saw you looking towards my room a couple of times."

"Just thought I heard a noise," you lied.

"Ah," he said, walking over to you. "How are you feeling after last night?"

"I'm completely fine."

"I'm glad to hear. You seemed so quiet after you got sick in the bathroom."

"Just had a bit too much to drink," you lied. Also feeling that it was a good time to make an excuse about what you had confessed to him last night, you added, "I probably said some really dumb stuff I didn't really mean either. So sorry if I said something I shouldn't have."

"Oh...yeah," he said, as if he understood what you were referring to, even though he probably knew that you actually remembered saying it.

Just then, the microwave beeped loudly, signaling that your food was done. "I'm going to go eat this in my room," you said, grabbing the food and scurrying off. "Good night."

Kuroo was still standing in the kitchen as you left, staring at you with a look of confusion as you closed the door to your room. It looked like he wanted to say more, but he didn't.

As you started eating your noodles, you realized that you were now quite upset and had actually lost your appetite. Setting the noodles down, you decided to just call it a night and lay down. That's when you heard a knock at the door.

"I'm laying down," you called out, assuming it was Kuroo.

"Oh, I just wanted to make sure you were okay," you heard Violet's voice say from the other side of the door.

You got up and answered the door, inviting her in.

"You seem like you've been out of it since last night. Even at work, you were spacey. You sure you're okay?"

"Yeah."

"Did you talk to Kuroo yet?"

"Not really."

"I just know that he really wanted to talk to you."

"Yeah, I already know what Kuroo's going to say, and I just don't want to hear it. No good will come of it."

"Oh," Violet said, somewhat disappointed you brushed her off so quickly. "Maybe you should still talk to him anyways, just to clear things up."

···Kuroo POV···

I stood outside the ajar door leading to y/n's room, ready to go in and talk to her, when I heard her voice talking to Violet about me.

"Yeah, I already know what Kuroo's going to say, and I just don't want to hear it. No good will come of it."

The words stung as my mind began to race with a thousand thoughts.

Did y/n know that I was going to tell her how I feel? I wonder if she found out about Kanoka's text where she confessed her feelings to me last night. I thought she would be happy that I told Kanoka that I didn't have any feelings for her, and that I only had feelings for y/n. Maybe y/n found out how I feel and she decided that she didn't feel the same about me in return? And here I stupidly thought she liked me back just because of what she said when she was drunk. Maybe she really didn't mean what she said. Fuck. How could things change so quickly from last night? It is like high school all over again. I didn't want to lose her again.