3. Running of the Wolves

Four wolves ran with a graceful but ground eating lope. They ranged in a diamond formation. The lead wolf was larger than the others. His fur was black from his snout to the tip of his tail. His eyes, black as the rest of him, swept the landscape in front of them and the sky above. They had already been surprised by one of this world's flying predators, and such a thing would not be allowed to happen again.

One ear twitched as the faint sounds of a running creature reached him. Before he could alert his three brothers, his hackles shivered as one of the muted soul bond flared back into existence. A fifth wolf, larger even the black wolf, joined without breaking his pace, and all five seamlessly changed their formation to allow their smallest member the protection of the center.

They continued their relentless pace, eyes roving for any sign of danger, while the four muted soul bonds drew them forward.

**********

Author Note: I'm sorry it's short, and the chapter title is lame. Not only was I having problems getting the words to come out of my fingers, but I started to realize how far I had to move the Sang storyline before these five could get where they were going and progress that line.

Writing is hard, and now I remember why I haven't done it in (mumble mumble) years.