13. I like to see the good in people

I confirmed my decision in my head once and for all and decided to go visit Damian. Not because I was confident in myself, but mostly so I can get it over with and go about the rest of my day.

It was kinda hard navigating through the mansion, course, I guess we established this already when I struggled to find the kitchen the other night.

I found the main staircases and decided to head down and check out the library. Surprisingly, I actually did hear someone in there. I peaked over the side of one of the shelves and sure enough, there was Damian and all his glory, reading a book.

He noticed me and looked up. With a glare, he said," What do you want?"

"Uh, hi! I just wanted to talk to you a little bit." Ok, I know he's kind of a scumbag, but, I'm going to try to get along with him.

"I'm busy right now." He looked back down at the book in his hands.

"Well, this is only gonna take a second."

"Look, I already had a scolding from father cause of more of your lies. I'm not in the mood to listen to more of them either." He didn't even spare me a glance.

"That's not my fault alright! How was I supposed to know I was being manipulated and lied to!"

"I thought it was obvious. Any normal person could tell I was trying to get on your good side. And what happened to knowing everything about me, huh? Should've known that was a trick from the very begining if you truly know so much about me."

Wow. This kid doesn't hold back. I stayed quiet for a little bit. Just standing there. Not gonna lie, it felt like I was gonna cry if I started speaking. So I stayed quiet until I felt I was ready.

"Look, I just like to try and see the best in people alright! I just wan-"

"Yeah. You see how well that worked out for you. How can you be so naive. Even after watching your friend die-"

"Shut up and listen to me for 5 minutes ok!?!" I yelled and that seemed to do the trick because he lifted his head up. His eyes widening just slightly.

"I like to see the good in people. It makes me feel like a better person myself. Even though I know I'm flawed. I know I'm not perfect. But it's a nice feeling knowing someone out there believes in you. Even if that person doesn't know you. Yes that man that killed Lisa was evil, but-" I couldn't hold back my tears anymore.

I looked down and started crying-"but he regretted in the end, and I'd like to think that it was because of what I told him! I want to believe that I changed someone's life, even for just a little bit. I wish you could think like that too. Which leads me to why I came to talk to you in the first place. I wanted to tell you that I didn't doubt you for a reason. That reason being that you remind me of my little brother." Damian's eyes widened at what I said. Even his mouth went slightly agape.

"You became my favorite character simply because of my brother. I miss him. A lot. When I saw you, and the way you acted around me. Cold, but not completely distant reminded me of him. But now, now you're just another jerk in my life who gets off on seeing me suffer."

I finally raised my head and spoke to him face to face." And that's not how I see my brother at all. " I left it at that and turned around, not waiting for a response. I walked out and closed the door behind me. I sighed.

"Wow, good job. I didn't think you would confront him so soon."

"AAAHHH!!" I jumped at the sudden voice and presence beside me.

"Dick! And Tim! What are you guys doing here!"

"I told you! You are not allowed to call me by that name!" Tim gave me a look that could kill.

"Oh, relax Tim. I told you this would be interesting."

"It was quite entertaining seeing that demon spawn get a taste of his own medicine."

When my brain finally caught up with the situation, I asked, "Wait! How did you know I was here?"

Dick answered, "Oh, we were down in the bat cave when we saw movement on the library cam. So we sat there and watched and then I dragged Tim here, so we could greet you! You did a good job in there. Nice work kid!" Dick put his hand on my head and ruffled my hair.

"I will applaud you on a good job confronting that little terror. Even I couldn't confront him like that by myself, so, well done." The whole time he said that, he had a straight face.

"That's kind of hard to believe with that monotone expression you've been giving me this whole time."

"Don't worry kid. Tim only gives credit where credit is due, so even though it may not look like it, he really is genuinely praising you, which isn't something he does often so, be proud."

"Well in that case thank you Tim!" I smiled at him sweetly. He widened his eyes with a blush on his cheeks then looked away.

"Yeah, well, I gotta head back up to my room to finish up an essay so, see ya later." And with that, he walked up the stairs.

"In all seriousness, I'm glad you were able to do that, because now, you have my full trust, and you earned a little bit of trust and respect from Tim, as well as a smidge of respect from Damian. Since not that many people outside of family can stand up to him."

"Yeah but where's respect gonna get me when he doesn't trust me yet?"

"Well, it means he won't try any tricks like when he first met you and tried to be all nice and stuff."

"That's good. Oh and thank you for trusting me! Although, why do you trust me again."

"You gave me this weird vibe. I don't know. I just can't see you killing someone."

"Funny, that's what Bruce said."

"Geez, I'm becoming more like that old man everyday." Dick sighed while putting one hand on his hip and the other behind his head.

"Well, I gotta get going. I'll take you out to do something fun tomorrow since it's my day off. Whaddya say?"

I smiled and said, "That'd be great!"

He smiled at me and walked back up the stairs.A lot of things are still rushing through my head. But as the adrenaline wore off I started to feel happy. I just accomplished so mush at one time. I put a smile on my face and headed back to my room, feeling more determined than ever now.