29. Grounded

The following day, I recapped what Tim said. So this whole time, it wasn't just the stress of Jason reappearing, it was also Steph. It definitely makes more sense now why he was so cranky.

As I sat at my desk gathering all my thoughts together, I heard a knock on the door to my room.

"Yes?" I asked and a deep voice answered with a question. "May I come in?"

"Sure," I replied enthusiastically as I hadn't talked to Bruce in a while. He came in with his usual stoic expression. It's always hard to read what this guy is thinking.

"So, what's up?" I tried to ease into the conversation, but because of the way his eyebrows were beginning to furrow, I didn't think I was gonna like where this was heading.

"I was hoping you'd eventually come to me willingly and talk but I see I'm gonna have to make the first move. Which I'm not exactly thrilled to be doing." Uh oh. For one thing. I have no idea what he's talking about and for two, I know he's not going to be the one to remind me.

"Ummm, is that so?" Ugh, really Lucy? That's the best you could come up with! I screamed at myself for the dumb reply, because he looked even angrier than earlier. I really need to start thinking before I speak because what I said next made me want to punch myself and throw myself in the garbage where I belong.

"So, you look angry, but uhh, I'm sure whatever Damian did, it's gonna be alright." I smiled at him with the fakest smile and thought about jumping out of the window at this point, but I feel like he'd catch me before I'd even leave the seat of my desk.

"Listen, Lucy, I don't trust easily, but there's something about you that makes it seem like it's nothing, which is probably why you have everyone else wrapped around your finger. But I need you to think real hard about this because even though you are a kid, I won't hesitate to send you somewhere else."

Oh crap. I've really done it this time. I've pushed him to his breaking point. Might as well through me in a box floating down the river because he isn't exactly the most patcient of guys. What is he talking about? That time I saw Bart? When I left with Dick to go see Star?  Was this about what Tim told me the other day? Ugh! I Don't Know!

"I don't have all day Lucy." Wait. Don't tell me.

"Could this happen to have anything to do with that night that I caught Jason in the kitchen?"

He just looked at me and did a weird creepy smile.

"Well, looks like you're not completely incapable of conversation after all. You do realize we have cameras yes? Although he doesn't exactly make it easy, for some reason he didn't hack them that night. It's almost like he was mocking me. I'm also very disappointed in you for not stepping up and mentioning it right away."

"Well, you see, about that, it kind of, slipped my mind?" He didn't look like he believed that at all. 

"You're grounded." What?

"Umm, wait, huh?" 

"I believe you heard what I said. No leaving the house for a month except for school. That's final." He didn't say anything else and just walked out. Well, that went great. I don't know why I didn't think of telling him sooner, but it really did slip my mind. That night wasn't exactly my best.

Great, now I'm gonna be stuck here. I made my way out of the room to find Alfred walking by.

"Oh Miss Lucy, perfect timing. I was just about to inform you that master Bruce has stepped away for a business meeting for two days." That fast!? He was literally just in my room in some casual clothing and now he's gone on some business trip!

"The other young masters have also stepped out for a variety of reasons, and so I was instructed to look after you and by Bruce's words, 'Not to let you out of the house for any reason unless your life depended on it', so looks like we're stuck with each other. I do hope I am able to serve you well Miss Lucy." With that, he walked off, leaving me dumbfounded where I stood. Great. I don't think sneaking out of this place is exactly the easiest thing in the world either. Not like I have anywhere to be anyway.

Later, I asked Alfred if I could at least step out to the garden for a walk and he allowed me to. I found a bench to sit at and ended up being bored out of my mind. "This sucks."

"Tell me about it." My head did a quick 180 to find the man, the myth, the legend himself....Jay.

"Uhhh, what the hell are you doing here?"

"Well like you said, this sucks and I'm guessing you're referring to your boredem, so yeah, sucks." I just gave him an angry look and turned away.

"Jeez, what's got your panties in a knot?"

"Well, I wouldn't be bored in the first place if it wasn't for you." I took a glance at him and he seemed confused at first. But then, he grinned. A very evil grin.

"Wait, let me guess. Dear old Bruce grounded you." My face turned red and I looked away. Then he busted out laughing.

"Oh my gosh, that's priceless HAHAHA! Oh I wish I could've seen the look on his face!"

"Yes well, I'm glad you find my situation so funny, but if you'll excuse me." I got up from the bench and started to walk away until he stopped me.

"Wait, you're not actually going to listen to him are you?"

"Umm, yes? He's THE Batman. He's a lot more terrifying in real life you know."

"Yeah, yeah. Been there done that. I know exactly what the guy's like, trust me. And if anything, whatever he said to you, wasn't true. Grounding you is probably the worst he'll do to someone like you."

"What do you mean someone like me?"

"Someone who isn't me." He whispered so low I almost didn't catch what he said. I suddenly felt s pang in my chest remembering the things he's been through.

"So, let's ditch this place and cure our boredem shall we?"

"Huh? Won't that get us in trouble?"

"Probably. But don't worry, I'll help out if Bruce does get too angry at you."

"How?"

"Don't know. We'll cross that bridge when we get there." I looked at him contemplating what to do.

"So, you in?" I really didn't want to feel Bruce's wrath. But this could be my chance to get some information out of Jay.

"I'm in." 

"Great! Let's book it." Ugh, I can't believe I'm doing this.

Thanks so much for 10k+ reads! Also, I'm gonna have the first chapter of my Tokyo revengers story up, finally! Go check it out if you're interested. It's my first xreader so we'll see how it goes. I'm also gonna be starting another story very soon. I know, I know. You're all probably thinking, WhY iS sHe GoNnA sTaRt AnOtHeR sToRy WhEn It ToOk HeR 3 mOnThS jUsT tO pOsT aNoThEr cHaPtEr To ThIs OnE? Well, everyone, that's because I'm a dummy. Anyways, hope you enjoyed it!

                                                                                                                           Peace!