A Tangled Web of A Challenge

[im gonna give specific name to the chapters now, author out]

Bailey's POV

Lightning climbed up into the tree and an eye showed up in the opening of the tree. Octopus arms came out from all sides of the tree, one grabbing Lightning's neck. Whatever it was slapped him three times and poked him in the eye. Then the monster started to tighten its grip and choke Lightning. We had to act fast or the boy was toast!

"Dudes! I've seen this in Sea Creatures Five! To fight a squid you have duck, duck, jump, punch!" Sam said acting out the actions as he said them.

"Or we could throw rocks" Scott said picking one up.

"Whatever works" I said picking one up too.

We presided to throw rocks at the octopuses arm but instead we just kept hitting Lightning. He was then thrown to the ground after a chorus of "ouches".

What I wasn't expect was to get hit in the face by a octopus tentacle. I was catapulted into a tree and blacked out.

"Bailey! Hey! You ok?" I heard as someone shook me awake, my eyes met with the bluish gray eyes of the ginger haired farm boy Scott. He looked legitimately concerned about my well being. I put a hand to my head and groaned. I was gonna feel that in the morning.

"Scott?" I asked. "Are you alright? How many fingers am I holding up?" He asked me. He then put his hand behind his back. I smiled at this and jokingly answered, "twelve". He grabbed my hand and pulled me up. We just smiled at each other until we heard Sam shouting, "Lightning? Lightning? LIGHTNING!"

We ran over to Sam and Scott grabbed a key that was on the path.

"Guess he's gone. So's the squid and we got the key" Scott laughed.

"But we've lost two players" Sam said.

"Chris never said wether or not we'd find them! They could be dead for all we know" I said getting worried. I started looking all around us, not sure wether I hoped to see the spider or not. This was a potentially life-threatening situation, for not just me. I felt a mix of fear of the unknown, guilt for letting Lightning Andy Dawn down for not protecting them and worry for Brick.

"They're two players that stink at this game. C'mon! Let's go!" Scott exclaimed..

"Well no but," Sam started.

"As a gamer I thought you'd understand" Scott told him.

Just as I was about to interject, the Maggots showed up.

Uh-oh...

"Heh heh, maybe we should look over there with the rest of our teammates! Cause it's not just the three of us! Heh he hehe!" Sam said nervously and we all walked away from the other team. However, I did notice Brick was still with them.

<><><><><><><><><><>

"He's ok! Brick's ok! That's a relief!"

<><><><><><><><><><>

The further we walked the more guilty I felt. Even if I'm not as soldier like as Brick is, I still believe in the Cadet Code, you never leave a man (or woman, thank you very much) behind.

Sam's voice knocked me out of my thoughts. "It's not that I don't like this leisurely pace but shouldn't we be running faster?"

"Relax, I know what I'm doing" Scott said in an annoyed fashion.

"Cmon, lets rock this! With Dakota voted off, I've got killer focus and energy to burn!" Sam said grabbing the key out of Scott's hand and running off.