two

"Kisa? Hello?"

Kisa blinked, returning from her world of thoughts to reality. Her best friend Minako poked at her arm with a pen and Kisa wondered how long she had been zoned out.

"You're staring at Miyamura again," Minako whispered with a teasing smile.

"No I'm not! I-I just zoned out," she felt her cheeks get hot from embarrassment. She gave another quick glance at the boy to make sure he didn't notice her in her trance.

He was wearing a hoodie today and it totally caught her off guard. But that's it. He just looks different, that's the only reason she was staring. Wait... not staring.

Minako rolled her eyes knowingly. "It's fine Kisa-san, you can have a little crush. But you don't want to get on her bad side."

The both of them looked towards Hori, who seemed to be angry as usual. Kisa could've sworn she saw smoke blow out of her ears and she figured it was probably because Miyamura hung out with his friends yesterday.

"I don't have a crush."

Minako hummed, but Kisa knew she wasn't convinced at all.

"I don't know how he puts up with it to be honest," Minako commented as she wrote down notes. "But then again, he's too nice for his own good."

Minako was Miyamura's neighbor, and they'd known each other since childhood. When Kisa came over to her house, she would see him a lot. That was actually how they met.

"Do you... do you think they'll break up?" Kisa asked, a little too hopefully.

Her best friend paused in thought before answering, "Maybe. She'd be the one to do it though. Not him."

Kisa only nodded.

"Don't get your hopes up though. The Ice Queen has her claws real deep in that boy."

-
2 years earlier

"I ate so much," Minako groaned, slumping over the couch. She clutched her stomach, caressing the bloated bump as if she were carrying a baby.

"I told you not to be such a glutton," Kisa laughed while clearing the plates.

She stuck out her tongue. "I think I just need a bigger stomach."

The doorbell chimed through Minako's house.

"Could you get that? I can't move," she grumbled, but Kisa was already on the way to the door.

When she opened it, she was face to face with a dark haired boy. His hair was quite long, and he looked her age, maybe even older. The thing that stuck out were his lip and ear piercings; there were many of them.

Her eyes trailed down to his arm, where a tribal print band was inked into his light skin, and she wondered if he was even old enough to have tattoos. He looked so much different from kids her age, but the boy looked awfully familiar.

"Um, hi," Kisa smiled, looking down at the box he was holding.

His stunning blue eyes made it hard for her not to stare and hard for her to look him in the eye at the same time. "Hi Takagi-san, is Minako-chan here?"

Her eyes widened as her name unexpectedly left his mouth. "Oh she's in a food coma. But-um... sorry, have we met?"

She racked her brain for any memory of the boy in front of her, but it would've been strange to not remember. He looked anything but unmemorable.

The boy laughed understandingly, and Kisa loved the sound. "I'm Miyamura. We're in the same class."

She almost gasped in shock at his answer. Miyamura? The gloomy boy in class who barely spoke a word?

He looked like a whole different person, someone more confident, and his aura was a lot lighter. The long hair that would hang in his face was tied back and his lack of usual glasses made Kisa wonder how she had never noticed how blue his eyes were. Oh and his eyelashes, his eyelashes! How are they so long?

"You- you just look so different," she cleared her throat. "I'm so sorry I didn't recognize you Miyamura-kun."

"It's alright, I know. Anyways, I guess this is for you?Minako ordered it weeks in advance," he handed her the white cardboard box he arrived with.

"For me?"

Kisa lifted the top, revealing a pink cake decorated with intricate frosting flowers. "Happy Birthday Kisa" was written in icing across it.

"Happy Birthday,"Miyamura smiled brightly, "I'll see you and Minako-san at school."