eleven

Kisa was nervous to meet Miyamura's friends at the festival.

Despite being in the same class as them, she had never spoken to Ishikawa Toru or Yoshikawa Yuki. She quietly judged them at school, when they stood by and watched Miyamura get hit by Hori; but then again, Kisa didn't do anything to help either.

"Hey guys," Miyamura waved to the purple haired boy and short blonde approaching.

The festival was bustling with students and families, a pleasant scent of food wafting through the air. Balloons, streamers, and colorful signs decorated the usually plain campus, with kids cheering at little carnival games.

"Izumi!" Toru jogged up to Miyamura like an excited child, pinching his cheeks to the boy's dismay. Miyamura swatted him away, then ruffled his purple hair as payback.

"Hey," Yuki greeted cheerfully. She looked at Kisa confusedly for a second, but shot her a smile.

"You guys know Kisa, she's hanging out with us today," Miyamura introduced her. She waved awkwardly at the two, uncomfortable from the attention.

Realization flooded onto Toru's face. "Takagi-san! You're in our class, I know you! Sorry, you just look different without your uniform on."

Kisa smiled at his energetic and friendly nature— he resembled a puppy. "It's no problem. Have you guys eaten yet?"

The day went by smoothly, and Kisa actually felt herself warming up to Miyamura's friends. They were nicer than she thought, and they made her feel included in everything. Kisa had never hung out with a group like this— she'd always been an introvert—but she was enjoying herself.

Despite her refusal, Miyamura paid for all the food, reminding her of what she said yesterday.

"But you said yesterday I was going to pay, and I'm also the one who made you come."

"I was joking Izumi," she rolled her eyes, but accepted the food anyway. She was tight on money, and probably wouldn't have eaten at all.

I need to get a job, she was reminded. Kisa had some savings from tutoring people at school, but ultimately it wasn't enough to let her have three meals a day.

So when Miyamura handed her yakitori on a skewer, it was like heaven on a stick.

She sighed in delight, savoring every single bite like it was the last thing she'd ever eat.

Miyamura chuckled at her enjoyment, "Good?"

Kisa nodded happily. "The best," she replied with a full mouth, making Miyamura laugh even more.

He gladly bought her another one, ignoring her protests. "You look hungry. It would make me happy if you ate."

"Hey look!" Toru pointed. "It's Hori's booth! And Takagi-san, aren't you like, best friends with Minako? Looks like she's also working the kakigori stall."

Kisa felt her stomach churn as she looked the direction he was pointing to. Sure enough, there was her best friend working next to Hori. Toru and Yuki excitedly rushed to the stand, but Kisa couldn't bring herself to move.

Miyamura seemed to sense her anxiety, "Hey, everything okay?"

"I-I don't know. I have a weird feeling... in my chest," she furrowed her eyebrows.