Revelations

Seri had rushed to be ready and had made sure the suite was tidy

Seri had rushed to be ready and had made sure the suite was tidy. She had prepared some coffee for them from the automatic machine as she had picked up the odd item lying about and straightened the cushions. Meeting his mother again, especially in these circumstances, was a bit disconcerting and she wasn't sure what to expect. As the door opened, she came over to greet her, hoping she would be friendly.

"Mrs Kim, please come in and sit down. I have some coffee ready."

Kim Yoon-he nodded politely in response. "Thank you," she said and took a place on the sofa facing the window.

"My condolences to you on your husband's death, this must have been a very distressing time for you," said Seri. She and Jeong-hyeok went to sit down on an adjacent sofa together. Jeong-hyeok's expression could give her no clue about what was going on, but he gave her a quick, encouraging smile as they settled. She still felt a little flustered but was trying hard to behave calmly.

"It is good to see you again Seri. I wondered if I ever would. You are looking well." Mrs Kim looked about the hotel suite. "What a beautiful room! And such a lovely view over the lake. I can see why you both love this place."

It could almost have been a regular visit but it was anything but that. Seri and Jeong-hyeok waited for her to explain, but his mother seemed distracted now she was here. She looked older than Seri remembered, and she guessed that her husband's death had taken its toll on her. Now, she seemed almost overwhelmed by where she was. She noticed that Jeong-hyeok was tapping his fingers a little. Perhaps he was getting impatient with the polite niceties and keen to get to the heart of what was going on.

"What are you doing here mother? How did you get here?" he asked, a little sharply. Seri put a hand on his arm to calm him down.

"Just let me sit down a minute. I'll explain." Kim Yoon-he took a sip of the coffee and then put it back on the table. She looked at them both.

"I'm sorry to burst in on you but it is urgent. I'm afraid neither of us can return home Jeong-hyeok. Probably never."

This was clearly the difficult secret that had brought her here. Now she had said it aloud she gave a sigh, looking rather sad and helpless.

Jeong-hyeok and Seri looked at each. He looked as shocked and surprised as she felt. What was going on?

"But why? What do you mean mother?" Jeong-hyeok's voice was still a little sharp. He didn't seem to quite believe what was happening. Seri wondered what on earth could be the cause of all this.

Kim Yoon-he now leaned towards them and seemed to be ready to explain it all.

"I've been warned that Kang Sung-ho has discovered your meetings here, with Seri," she said.

"No!" exclaimed Jeong-hyeok.

Seri didn't know that name but she felt her arms suddenly prickle with goosebumps. Who was he? Why was he a threat?