Soaring

He hadn't slept well. He had spent part of the night pacing the lounge, restlessly thinking through his performance. How could he best bring out the emotional intensity in his playing? Eventually, he'd gone back to bed with some sort of resolution forming in his mind. Watching Seri as she slept helped to calm him and he fell asleep again, yet still a little restlessly, and when he woke again it was still early. He got up quietly so as not to disturb her, his mind immediately full of the music he was to play at the concert. He stood by the window in the lounge watching the sky gradually lighten as the day broke.

 He stood by the window in the lounge watching the sky gradually lighten as the day broke

Later Seri came to find him as he was dressing.

"How are you feeling this morning?"

"Ok, I think. Perhaps a bit anxious. Apprehensive I suppose."

"Have you had breakfast?"

He shook his head. "I'm not really hungry."

She came and put her arm about him, smiling. "You used to tell me off for that. You should try and eat something."

He remembered and smiled too. "I'll take an apple with me."

She noticed that he had his music case and suit carrier ready. "Are you heading to the rehearsal already?"

He nodded. "I just want to get down there to settle in."

If that was going to help him, then she wouldn't stand in his way, but it still seemed quite early. She rather wished he had woken her up so she could spend some time with him before he left. She'd like to feel sure he was all right.

"Are you still worried about how you will perform?"

He was thoughtful. "I think I've found a way to play the way I want. But until I try I won't really know."

"I'm glad. Do you want me to come? I will if you want me to."

He shook his head. "No it's ok. There will be a lot of hanging around."

It seemed he was coping in his own way.

He picked up the suit Seri had chosen for him to wear that night, and checked to see if he had everything. He smiled at her.

"I'll call you later," he said, kissing her tenderly on the cheek.

"Please do. I'll be thinking about you and hoping you're doing ok. And I'm really looking forward to the performance."

He paused, considering. Then he put down his things and looked seriously at her.

"You might feel differently when I play."

She was surprised at his sombre tone.

"Why? What do you mean?"

"Remember what I said about the emotion of the music? If I play like I did yesterday, then it will be painful for you too. It's likely to stir some difficult memories."