Planning for Life

Jeong-hyeok watched Seri storm across the room and bang the door. Her anger had seemed to come from nowhere, and he felt stunned by it. He didn't try to stop her, and he didn't know what to say to her. He had to protect her. That must come first. But the last thing he wanted to do was upset her. He put his head in his hands. How on earth had they ended up in an argument?

He was trying to do the right thing, why couldn't she see that? But her words had hit home, and logically he could see sense in her point of view. Why should it make a difference that she was rich, and he wasn't? It was true if their roles were reversed, he would be asking her to marry him and not thinking twice about the money. Their difference did make him uncomfortable, it wasn't what he had grown up with. But did that justify it? She was right, he would stand a better chance of acceptance into the South if they were married. And after all, that is what he wanted more than anything. So what was the problem? Why was he arguing against it? He loved her vulnerability and tenderness, but he also loved her strength, her determination, her passion to succeed. He loved .... her. Surely that was all that mattered.

He stood up and walked across to the bedroom.

She was sitting on the bed with her back to him. She seemed small, vulnerable, hurt. She didn't turn round.

He walked around the bed and knelt down in front of her. Still she didn't look at him, but kept her head down. She was no longer crying, but she was clearly still upset or angry with him, or both.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I didn't mean to upset you. I am thinking of my pride rather than you. I'm sorry. You're right." He paused, waiting to see if his words made any difference. She glanced at him and then looked down again.

"Thank you," she said quietly.

He breathed a little easier.

"Your suggestion does make sense. I do think you are right." He paused again and this time she raised her head and looked him in the eye. "But it terrifies me to think I'd be putting you in danger again." His face was earnest, anxious, he felt acutely that responsibility to protect her.

She found her voice again, soft but strong.

"I am not going back to Seoul without you. Whether we get married, or not."

He nodded at her words, accepting what she wanted to do. However uncomfortable it made him, she would decide for herself, and he had to accept that. He dropped his head and sat back on his heels. He looked up and saw that she was watching him. She was no longer angry, but he saw the trace of sadness in her face. He still felt bad for hurting her.

"I have dreamed of asking you to marry me so many times

"I have dreamed of asking you to marry me so many times. And now I've had the chance, and I've ruined it. I'm so sorry. I was wrong." His words stumbled out. How had he managed to mess this up?

She held out her hand to him and he took it gratefully. Neither spoke for a while, but the sadness and disappointment seemed to be easing from her, and he felt that she had forgiven him a little. His heart was beating fast, he felt nervous. Perhaps he had a second chance. He knelt up closer to her, still holding her hand in his.

"Seri, you are the most important part of my world. I can't be without you. I love you and I think we are destined to be together. I never thought I would propose to you quite like this, but will you marry me? And marry me as soon as possible?" He kept his eyes on her face and was delighted to see it softening, brightening as he spoke.

"Yes. Of course I will," she said. "I love you so much." And then she smiled her warm, brilliant loving smile at him, and he melted before her.

Neither of them could say anything further, they just held each other close not wanting to let go, not wanting the moment to end. Jeong-hyeok felt this was a dream-like moment, one he'd barely allowed himself to think about. He savoured it, as if it was still too unlikely to happen. But, if they could overcome everything that was ahead of them together, then this was what he wanted more than anything. He lifted his head from her shoulder and drew his hands softly up to her face. She smiled at him again, her eyes on his.

"I want to promise you this, Seri, you have my unending love and I will do everything in my power to protect you and enable us to be together." And she knew he meant it.

They stayed together quietly, breathing in the moment, holding each other close.

"I'm so, so happy," she said. "I could forget everything else, but we can't do that can we?"

"I'm afraid not," he said. "If we are to make this wonderful dream stay true, then we have to make plans, and fast."

They both stood up, holding hands, still feeling rather giddy with happiness.

"We must plan how and where we are going to marry, and then your applications for permission to come to Seoul," she said.

"And plan for our safety too," he said. They were planning their wedding, their future and their lives together. But at the same time they had to plan to stay alive and stay safe.

"Can we marry here? It seems so right that it should be here."

"That would be wonderful" she agreed. "But we need to marry as soon as possible."

He nodded. "Yes, we don't have very much time. By Saturday, maybe."

Seri's practical business side started to come through. She was used to planning action and making quick decisions. Really, this wasn't so different.

"I know, I'll call my lawyer. He can start to sort out what we need to do claim asylum in Seoul for you and your mother. And he should be able to find a lawyer here who can advise us on the local marriage laws. Once we know that, we can plan the details. Leave those things with me." She paused. "Why are you smiling at me like that!" she asked.

He laughed a little. "You're very organised all of a sudden. I like it!"

She laughed a little herself. "Good! Do you know I suddenly feel so hungry. We never had breakfast. Why don't you order room service whilst I call my lawyer?"

"Good idea," he said. "And I'll look into security companies who can give us protection in the meantime. We need to ensure our safety most of all, and I'll feel happier once that is sorted."

She nodded and moved to her bag to find her mobile.

"I feel better when I have a plan. More in control." Then she settled herself down on the chair, tucked her hair behind her ears, scrolled through her contact list, and started to plan.