Preparations

The next morning the most important thing on Seri's mind was shopping

The next morning the most important thing on Seri's mind was shopping. Their wedding might be rushed, but she wanted it to be as special as possible. She insisted that Jeong-hyeok should have a new suit and that she and Yoon-he should have new dresses. She was only too happy to buy things for Yoon-he. As they had chatted over dinner last night, his mother had complimented her clothes and sense of style and confided to her that she felt that her clothes were old-fashioned in comparison. Seri's parents would be arriving that afternoon and she knew her own mother would bring something smart to wear for the wedding. Seri didn't want her future mother-in-law to feel uncomfortable or dowdy on this important occasion. For Seri choosing something new for herself was a compromise. Ideally she would be working with a designer for her wedding gown, months in advance. Now, it would have to be off-the-rack. But it should at least be stylish and special.

They couldn't venture too far afield. Jeong-hyeok was adamant that there was too little time and it was too risky to travel to Zurich, and she could see that he was right. Fortunately there were some upmarket designer shops in the town. They would have to do. It was relatively straightforward to choose a suit for Jeong-hyeok. He looked good in a well-cut suit, and the dark blue colour they picked out suited him very well and didn't need any alterations. Now she could focus on her own outfit, and that of Yoon-he. They drew a complete blank at the first shop they tried, which was dispiriting, but there were others. She tried to send Jeong-hyeok back to the hotel whilst they went inside, but he insisted on waiting for them. He wasn't going to let them out of his sight.

"I will have to come inside," he said. "I shall be too conspicuous if I stand outside."

"But this is a very small boutique," she protested. "You'll see what I'm looking at. I don't want you to see what I'm wearing!"

"I promise not to look," he said. "I'll stay near the door. But I'm not leaving you alone, and that's that."

She could see that there was no arguing with him, and reluctantly allowed him to follow her into the shop. It might be small, but it looked exclusive, featuring clothes from of a range of local designers. From Seri's internet search it seemed to have an excellent reputation. An assistant came over to help and Seri asked to be shown occasion wear. The manager was keen to help too. She could tell from Seri's chic attire that this was a high-end customer. Seri kissed Jeong-hyeok on the cheek, and left him standing near the door.

 Seri kissed Jeong-hyeok on the cheek, and left him standing near the door