Seoul

It was evening Korean time and they had been travelling for more than 12 hours, plus a stop to refuel

It was evening Korean time and they had been travelling for more than 12 hours, plus a stop to refuel. But now they were starting the descent into Incheon airport. Seri was excited. She could see the runways and terminal buildings illuminated beneath them; they were nearly home. Jeong-hyeok had managed to achieve a state not of relaxation, but of coping, on the flight - but now the stress was building again and there was an anxious knot in his stomach. Seri noticed how tense he was and tried to reassure him, but it didn't really alter how he felt. The ground was getting closer and at last they landed smoothly. Whatever was waiting for them, good or bad, he would find out very soon.

The pilot taxied to the far end of the terminal building and came to a stop. Jeong-hyeok noticed that Jang Han-gyeol was speaking on his mobile to someone. He saw steps being brought up to the door and then the steward opened it.

Jang Han-gyeol came over. "Welcome to Seoul," he said. "I've been asked to direct you to a private arrivals area. If you could gather your luggage and follow me." He still didn't seem particularly friendly.

They did as they were asked. He could tell his mother was also feeling apprehensive. He guessed that stepping foot in this other Korea would seem a big deal for her. Before they left the plane he took her hand and tried to reassure her and she patted his hand back, but he knew she knew he was only saying the words.

They walked across the tarmac. The terminal building wasn't far ahead and someone was waiting by a door. They headed towards it, following Jang Han-gyeol. The man opened the door for them and inside was Director Kim and also, smiling with anticipation, Seri's parents.

"Father! Mother! I didn't expect to see you here," cried Seri.

"Director Kim arranged it," said her mother. They looked delighted to see them, but they hung back. They appeared to be waiting for Director Kim to say something.

He came forward.

"Welcome home Yoon Seri. And welcome to the Republic of Korea, Ri Jeong-hyeok and Kim Yoon-he." He bowed his head and they responded politely to him.

"I have good news for you," he continued. "Your applications for asylum have now been approved."

Jeong-hyeok felt stunned. He had been dreading all sorts of scenarios. This was the one he hadn't dare let himself think about. Seri had tears in her eyes.

"They have! Oh that's wonderful!" she said. She turned to him and gave him a quick hug and then hugged Yoon-he too.

Yoon-he hugged her back. She was smiling, almost in disbelief.

Jeong-hyeok held out his hand to Seri and she took it. She seemed to realise that it was taking time for the news to sink in.

Director Kim continued. "So, you will be granted permission to stay. All the paperwork isn't complete yet, but the decision has been made. I have been instructed to give you these temporary permission papers in exchange for your North Korean passports." He held up a set of papers and smiled at them.