The Gift

It was a peaceful afternoon in late summer. The twins were napping, and Seri took the opportunity to sort through some clothes. There was a heap of discarded clothes on the couch in her dressing room of the new house, and she was looking at herself with dissatisfaction in the large mirror. She pulled at the neckline and bodice of the dress, trying to make it fit correctly, but not happy with how it looked. She saw the door open and Jeong-hyeok came in.

 She saw the door open and Jeong-hyeok came in

"I am so frustrated!" she said pouting at him. "I love this dress. But I still can't wear it. It doesn't fit right anymore. I only wore it once before I got too big."

He smiled and came up to stand next to her, looking at her appearance in the mirror.

"But you look so well! I was looking at you earlier and thinking how gorgeous you are."

She pulled a face, disagreeing. "I don't look good. My face looks tired. I haven't got my shape back yet. Whatever I wear, I soon end up with smears and dribbles from the children! I changed my top three times yesterday!"

He laughed. "What does that matter! When I watch you cradling them my heart melts." He turned to her and put his arm about her waist. "You are beautiful and so are they."

She smiled a little at that. "Well I'm glad you still think so." But then she turned back to studying her appearance in the mirror. "But I wish I felt better about how I looked." She fussed with the dress again. "I'm planning on going into the office next week instead of just dialling in. I want to look like I used to."

"Why don't you treat yourself to some time out, before you go back?" he suggested. "Take some time for yourself, buy some new things."

"I know. I'm planning to." She turned away from the mirror and looked up at him, her expression troubled and uncertain. "But it's not just how I look. What if I've lost my touch? What if I go back in, and they haven't missed me at all?"

He stroked her face tenderly.

"I'm sure that won't be the case. You've been keeping up with everything remotely. That manager you hired seems to have been competent in keeping things running smoothly."

That didn't reassure her though. "That's just it! What if everyone thinks he's better than me? He didn't seem too keen when I said I was going in next week."

"Seri, it is your company. You built it up from scratch. You are the one with the ideas and vision needed. Don't forget that. Just because he's kept it running doesn't mean he could replace you. No-one could." 

His confidence in her helped her to feel better, and when he hugged her close she felt even more reassured that she could do it. She had told him once before that he was her rock, and that felt just as true now as it did then.

"I am going to miss the twins when I'm in the office though," she said. "You do think I'm doing the right thing, don't you?"

He nodded and kissed the top of her head.