Chapter 13: Beach Volley... Among Other Things

Brushing past the "I used to like you and maybe I still do" narrative of his relationship with Cameron, Emery wouldn't go as far as calling their time in the shed a complete failure on his part

Brushing past the "I used to like you and maybe I still do" narrative of his relationship with Cameron, Emery wouldn't go as far as calling their time in the shed a complete failure on his part. Sure, Cameron may have spent half of his being there annoying the hell out of him, but Emery likes to think of it as a very very powerful instrument in his orchestra of moving on.

They were in the middle of finishing up. Ian had just left to take the box of recyclables outside the house gate, of course not without wailing about how the number of boxes he'd carried outside is pale in comparison to Emery's and Allison's combined, not that complaining did anything to help his case. It was around three in the afternoon when Allison walked out for a breath of fresh air that Emery decided to glance at Cameron, at the slight crookedness in the blond's lips, and wondered what the hell was so funny about cobwebs.

"What are you laughing at, you weirdo?"

Cameron raised his eyebrows. "You're getting real comfortable calling me names, aren't you?" he asked. His tone was amused, smile a little too mocking.

Emery likes to convince himself that the casual playful bickering doesn't make him all giddy inside. It usually works, but when the bickering gets a little less annoying and a little more endearing, it just feels like he's giving himself a cheap therapy session. Well, to each his own.

"Not that it's any of your business," Cameron started before Emery could get a word in edgewise, grunting as he lifted a heavy-looking crate from the ground to the pile outside. "But I was laughing at a joke Asher said last night."

Emery smirked, crossing his arms. "Let me guess, you're just getting it now?"

The redhead snickered to himself almost immediately as he finished speaking. Yes, he is indeed getting bolder each day. He's weirdly proud of it.

Cameron tilted his head, smiling sarcastically. "Funny," he said. "Wanna hear it?"

"I'd rather not," Emery lied.

He laughed right as Cameron ignored him with yet another bickery quip and began narrating the joke, explained it a great deal, and unsurprisingly, Emery wasn't laughing anymore.

Cameron is a man of heaps and bounds of termed "panty-dropping" qualities, which makes it a big deal when Emery—someone who's had a solid five-year guaranteed experience that can prove the authenticity of these qualities—tells you that joke-telling isn't one of them.

"You have got to be the dumbest person on earth if you don't get it," Cameron let out in frustration after explaining the joke for the third time. "They're crows..." He began enunciating with his hands, and Emery tried not to look too amused at how desperately the blond seemed to want to see him laugh. "It's attempted murder."

Emery actually got the joke, he'd just grown to like watching Cameron go insane over the past three minutes. He also made a mental note to commend Asher on a job well done later.