Chapter 33: Unpause

Week 7: The Bliss of Something New

Cameron was all kinds of restless.

Cate must've called him a dramatic bitch three or four times now despite him not having said anything for the past three hours. She could tell. Cameron hated that.

Not as much as he hated not knowing where Emery was though. He'd been tossing and turning on his bed, hair all kinds of mess, looking absolutely wrecked even though he's yet to have a reason to.

Maybe Cate was right. Maybe he really was being a dramatic bitch.

It took a while, but when the realization that overthinking wasn't doing anybody any good, Cameron decided to get a hold of himself, and also maybe a shirt. He stood up — way too quickly— blood rushing to his head as he did, so he took a moment and sat back down, cursed under his breath, and then turned the AC off.

Cameron has a habit of freezing himself like a popsicle when he's stressed.

He was shuddering by the time he reached the foot of the stairs. There was only one person to see, and unfortunately, it wasn't who he wanted. Blake was passed out in the living room, limbs spread too far apart that one could question the point of the couch. Cameron walked over to wake him up and grimaced at the sight of drool dripping from the corner of Blake's mouth.

This man is a child trapped in a man's body.

"Don't you have a room?"

His already low voice startled Blake awake, the light sleeper. Cameron bit down a laugh and tried hard to keep a straight face.

The poor guy was scrambling when he came to. "What?"

"It's the middle of the day," Cameron added, staring down at Blake as he scratched the side of his waist. "What are you doing here?"

Blake, who was still in the middle of waking up, blinked at him and took his time to figure out where he was or what was happening. When he finally did, he said, "I was cleaning."

Cameron gave him a look.

"What?" Blake asked, sounding a bit offended.

"You expect me to believe that?"

Blake let out a pained noise. "Hey, what are you being mean to me for?" He then murmured, "Grumpy old man..."

Cameron laughed again as he headed for the kitchen to pour himself a glass of juice. He heard Blake shuffle out of the couch, the drag of his bare feet making light noises on the floor as he neared the kitchen. Cameron thought he was just there to get food or something, but then he started talking.

"Well, I get it," he said. "I'd be miserable too if 'my baby done left me.'"

Cameron frowned. He didn't even get to finish opening the fridge when he turned to look at Blake, and when he did, the bastard was smirking right at his face.