Chapter 42: The Storm

Cate's room was almost empty, which made Emery realize that she doesn't spend much time in it as the rest of them were

Cate's room was almost empty, which made Emery realize that she doesn't spend much time in it as the rest of them were. He took a seat on the bed, wondering why his boyfriend's sister suddenly wanted to spend time with him.

His question was answered when Cate said, "Don't let it get to you."

"What?" Emery saw her grab a cold beer from the mini-fridge. His room didn't have a mini-fridge. He thought it was unfair.

"What happened over breakfast," she answered as she handed Emery the can after opening it. "Stop thinking about it."

Emery gaped at her. "You knew?"

Cate nodded. "He told me. I don't know if he remembers though. It was a long time ago."

A long time ago.

"That's a pretty dangerous gamble, Cate," Emery told her.

"What do you mean?"

"What if I didn't know he liked Ian?" Emery asked, smirking. "You could've cost your brother a very awkward conversation."

Cate chuckled. "I saw your face. I knew," she said. "And as I said, stop thinking about it. You're gonna drive yourself crazy over nothing."

Emery stared at the beer in his hands and thought about Cate's words. Could she be right? Was he spiraling over nothing?

"You know what? I have an idea. Let's distract you for a minute," Cate plopped herself on the bed, and Emery couldn't help but be amazed at how her hair bounced as she did. She's perfect. With her pretty eyes and pretty hair. If there was a third Brooks sibling, the world would probably be in chaos. "I've been meaning to go through the voicemails on my phone from last year. Why don't you do that with me?"

"You haven't checked your voicemail in a year?" Emery asked and Cate shrugged. "That's crazy, Cate. Besides I can't listen to your messages. Those are private."

"Psh. Who cares about privacy?"

"You should."

"Em, my contacts are literally just you guys, my family, and this pizza guy from home I got a little thing going on with since January. It's a long story," she explained. "Oh, and Gracie Abrams."

"Who's Gracie Abrams?"

"We met at a party once- no wait, we're getting off-topic. Here." Cate handed him her phone. "Start with the most recent one."

Emery saw she wasn't gonna let it go, so he gave up. "Fine," he said, scrolling to the very bottom of the screen. "This one's from Blake."

"Hey, Katerina Valentina my bitch wassuuup?" Blake's voice cleared, and his high-pitched scream turned to regret. "I am so sorry. I do not know where that came from, girl. I don't normally go around calling women 'my bitch' because I think that's like, very disrespectful and that we as a society should– You know, honestly the only person I call bitch to this day is and it's not because I like it but because he does, is Bryce. And I'm not really sure if that's sweet or creepy. I don't really like thinking about it. You know who doesn't like to be called, bitch-?"