Chapter 15: Lucas Waywright

There was something about the way Cameron ended their call that put a damper on Emery's day

Normally, being cut off before he could get a word in edgewise over the phone would piss the fuck out of him, but just like everything else, Cameron's effect on him goes way past "normal". He wasn't angry, but he did feel like crying. He's not so sure what else to do about that except to ignore it.

After getting everything he needed from the supermarket, Lucas took him out to the parking lot. The two briefly argued about who should bring the bags to Lucas' truck, despite the walk to it being merely ten footsteps away. It was a battle Emery lost without even trying.

It was funny how persuasive Lucas can get when it comes to holding things for him. As Lucas loaded the grocery bags at the back of his pick-up truck, Emery began to look back to the first time they met and realized how quickly three weeks went by. It's as if yesterday this strange tattooed guy was just helping him with his bag. Back then, Emery didn't reckon he'd see Lucas again, nor did he think much of the guy beyond Lucas being conventionally attractive and nice, but here they are.

"Back's full. You have to sit out front," Lucas teased, massaging his wrist as he turned to face the redhead.

Emery didn't bother to ask about the wood planks and ropes that sat with the grocery bags in the back of Lucas' pick-up truck as he shrugged and replied, "I'm not complaining."

"So," Lucas started as Emery tucked himself into the passenger's seat. "Any allergies I should know about?"

Emery hummed. "No," he said, gazing at Lucas as he started the truck. The engine roared to life, and Emery looked out the window as he went on jokingly, "Unless you cook with cat fur."

Lucas snorted out a laugh, and only stopped when he noticed Emery wasn't joining in.

"Are you okay?" he asked after a while.

Emery tore his gaze from the window and towards Lucas, brows furrowed. "Of course, why?"

"Nothing, you just seem... off."

Emery chuckled for the first time since they left the grocery. "Come on, how do you know that? We barely see each other," he said, voice light and teasing.

"Maybe," Lucas hesitated as they ventured the main road. "Just tell me if you're not up for it, alright? We can always do something else."

Emery hummed, curious as to what that might entail. "Like what?"

"Well..." Lucas paused a little, and Emery could tell that he was trying hard to provide an alternative better than homecooked lunch. "I know it's nothing fancy but a few people set up a small carnival not far from here. They're closing in a few days but I've never been to so if you're interested..."

Emery began to think about it, fingers playing with the air vent as he did. "A carnival huh."

Lucas smiled through the mirror. "Yep."