Chapter 16: A Fine Day for It

Things were better by the time Friday rolled around

Even though Blake is making all of them dress up for a cheesy "family photo" by the beach, Emery had no complaints, all things considered, especially with how his morning went. Of course, Emery hasn't a clue how the others came up with the decision not to knock Blake out when he proposed the idea. But then again, he wasn't complaining, mainly because he wasn't around the house when it happened.

He was out somewhere in the middle of the hiking route they'd been to a week before, teaching a friend how to shoot a crossbow.

You'd think it was a bad idea, all things considered, especially with how things went the last time they were there. However, the place didn't look nearly as terrifying as it looked that night. Squirrels were running up and about the place, sunlight shining through the gaps between trees, and dry ground with not a single sight of dead frogs. It looked peaceful. Well, up until they decided to disturb nature by firing sharp projectiles into thin air.

How did Emery get himself in that situation exactly? Well, it started when Cameron knocked on his door early in the morning, holding a tumbler of coffee and what was, unmistakably, a crossbow.

"I found this in the basement," the blond stated, standing by the door, completely motionless. Emery sniffed, a little dizzy from lack of sleep and unsure if he was actually talking to Cameron or dreaming about him, both equally possible.

"Okay- first of all, good morning." Emery tried his best to open his eyes and came pretty close when he blinked twice. "Second, what are you doing in front of my room holding a crossbow, Cameron?"

Cameron shrugged, stepping forward as he pushed the door further, causing Emery to stumble back a bit. "Sorry. Just trying to see if you're ready to hold up your end of the bargain," he said.

"Excuse me but what bargain?"

Cameron pointed his lips behind Emery, and the latter turned around, immediately seeing the guitar beside Luke, the giant grizzly Lucas won for him a few days ago. Yes, he decided to name the bear. You'd be surprised what things a boring day can make you do.

"Ah."

Emery supposed this was a long-overdue call. After the strange encounter he had with Cameron the night he came home from the carnival with Lucas-Cameron apologizing out of nowhere and Emery acting all awkward about it, which was very classic for the both of them-Cam has been surprisingly... complacent with him. And not to mention the guitar lessons. As it turns out, he wasn't kidding when he told Emery "there'd be a next time" at the end of their first lesson that one time.

Long story short, Cameron has been teaching him how to play the guitar for days now, and it felt like Emery's living his younger self's dream, although he's not sure if it's worth getting woken up at ungodly hours of the morning.

To be fair, it's not all that bad. Emery prided himself on how he got better at the instrument. Just yesterday, he almost made it halfway through the first verse of Here Comes The Sun. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, and it helps that Cameron is a patient tutor. Patient and incredibly freaking hot and so desperately naive about it. Emery thinks he would've learned five whole songs by now if he wasn't so easily distracted.