Chapter 32: A Chapter Ends, Another Begins

"What's going on?"

"What's going on?"

In all honesty, the question held little importance to his day as Cameron didn't exactly care that much about why Blake and Asher were holding old iPads while sitting across from Cate and Ian. Bryce stood in the middle, reading something on his phone that seemed more important than it looked.

Still, Cameron forced himself to listen to the answer. "We found this quiz online that tells you how much you'll be able to convince people that you're a couple."

"That's stupid."

"You're stupid."

"Okay." He stared at the pairs, at Blake and Asher, then at Cate and Ian. He was starting to get bored. "But none of you are couples."

"We're trying to prove that these quizzes are shit and that people are being scammed." Cameron thought it was a fair point, but maybe that was because he had something else in mind, too distracted to function. It seems to be happening frequently these days.

Bryce held onto his phone, a hand on his waist as he said, "Next question, who's more likely to pick their nose in public?"

Cate grimaced, the card in her hand flopping when she did. "What are these questions?"

"Important ones."

Cameron looked around as his friends went over a few more questions he couldn't fathom the point of for the life of him. Then he looked at the plate of sandwiches in front of Blake, and immediately he could tell who made them. When he couldn't handle it anymore, he finally opened his mouth to ask what he's been dying to ask since he walked out of his bedroom.

"Where's Emery?"

Now that was an important question.

Mornings were Cameron's biggest enemy, and the only thing that has made them slightly bearable lately was the prospect of seeing his... seeing a particular boy who he can't call anything past 'pretty' and 'hey you' making coffee for everyone in the kitchen.

So one could only imagine his disappointment when the first thing he saw this morning was his sister flipping him off the moment his feet appeared on the stairs.

"I don't know," Asher answered for them. "Did you see him this morning?"

"I wouldn't be asking if I did," Cameron replied, and Asher just shrugged at the slight bitterness in his voice. They were all used to each other's crankiness in the morning. Cameron turned to Blake. "Blake?"

Blake's mouth was stuffed with bread when he answered, "Wha?"

"Did you see Em?"

"Yeah, this morning," he said.

Cameron's brows lifted with interest. "Where?"

"In the kitchen."

He walked toward the coffee table to pluck one of the sandwiches on Blake's plate, but his hand was immediately swatted like a fly before he could even touch the air around it.