Ch 5: Topper's

I walked into the Cameron house to yelling.

"Get it together Rafe!" Ward yelled.

"So Sarah doesn't have to work" Rafe asked.

"This isn't about Sarah. You can't live with everything handed to you! Why can't you be more like your friends, like Liz!" Ward said.

"I'll take care of the generators" Rafe said.

He walked directly to me grabbing my arm.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Supposed to have lunch remember?" I asked.

I looked into his eyes as he held back tears.

"I've got something to do" he said walking past me.

I walked after him as he got on his bike.

"You can't keep doing this when something doesn't go your way" I said. "You can't be dependent onto it."

"Why do you care so much?" He asked.

"I don't want to walk into your room to you dead because you did too much" I snapped.

He looked down then back up to my eyes.

"Move Lizzy" he said.

I stayed put.

"Move" he said harshly.

"Fine" I said.

I walked to my car not saying another word. I turned around as he sat on his bike ruffling his hair. He put his helmet on and left. I nodded knowing he would do so getting into my car. I screamed the second I shut the door taking a deep breath after. I drove home as I pulled into the driveway I noticed Kiara's car. I walked up the steps opening the door.

"Kie!" I yelled shutting the door.

She walked down the stairs.

"Are mom and dad home too?" She asked. 

"Just me. I was supposed to have lunch with Rafe but I guess he bailed" I said.

"Ew why Rafe?" She asked.

"Are you forgetting he's one of my friends?" I asked.

"You slept with him didn't you" she said.

I whipped my head to her.

"It was bound to happen I'm surprised it didn't happen in high school. He's always all over you" she said. "Not to mention the way he looks at you."

I stood there not saying anything.

"Why do you think a majority of the guys don't talk to you?" She asked. "They don't want to deal with Rafe."

"Where have you been? Mom was worried" I said.

"John B's" she said.

"Kie you can't keep leaving and not saying anything" I said leaning on the counter.

"You don't get it" she said.

"Help me understand because I can't keep having your back. I can only do so much" I said.

"His dad is missing Liz. He doesn't know what happened to him and I've been through so much the past couple days and he needs us" she said. "You would do the same if it were Topper or Kelce."

I looked down realizing she was right.

"I would communicate with mom or dad though, thats the difference" I said walking out. "They'll be back soon I'm going to the restaurant."