Ch 32: Strained Relationships

I sat on a chair outside, looking up at the sky as the glass in my hand began to slip. I got back to reality, taking a sip before wincing, the taste of alcohol burning my throat.

I set the glass on the table a few inches away from me before looking around. I put my hand on my flat stomach, getting the sudden feeling of sorrow and pain. I quickly pulled my hand away as Rose came outside.

"You've been outside a lot lately" she said.

"Yeah? What about it?" I asked.

I looked at her as she sighed.

"I don't know what you're going through.. but Liz-" she started.

"Don't try to understand" I said.

I downed the rest of the drink before going inside. I looked around, trying to avoid Rafe, running right into him instead. He looked as if he didn't know what to say, though I imagined that's how he actually felt.

"You got up early" he said.

"Yeah" I said.

I went to walk past him when he grabbed my arm. I let out a deep breath, looking at him.

"Just talk to me, Lizzy" he said.

"What do you want me to say?" I said.

I let out a sarcastic laugh to hide the fact I wanted to cry.

"I lost the baby because of the stress of everything.. you almost shot my sister... I don't even know where she is.. o-or if she's safe" I said. "I won't be able to live with myself if she's not safe. I know you don't give a shit about yours but I love mine."

I yanked my arm out of his grasp, going to our room. I took the dress off I was wearing, grabbing a white sundress from the closet. I slid the dress over my head, flattening it out with my hands when I saw Rafe walk in.

"They're going to be here soon" he said.

I nodded, expecting him to leave but he went to sit on the edge of the bed instead. I looked at my empty ring finger, walking to the dresser to grab it. I put my ring on, my fingers lingering over it as I look back to Rafe.

"I'm sorry" I said. "I abandoned my family, Rafe.. I can't even imagine what my mom or dad are going through right now... they don't know what happened to either of their daughters."

"Lizzy.." he whispered.

"I was so blinded by my love for you that I didn't realize what I was doing" I said. "I lied! I shouldn't have lied.. because maybe if I didn't my sister wouldn't hate me and you could be getting the help you need.."

I wiped the tears that were streaming down my cheeks. The past few weeks I had been able to reflect on my choices, the things I regret doing and things I wish I would have. It's the reason I started becoming distant to Rafe, I loved him, I always would but after everything that had happened I didn't know what to do.

"I need to finish getting ready" I said.

He slowly nodded, going to kiss my cheek as I backed away. I watched as his eyes softened, the look of hurt behind them nearly killed me. I walked around him to go to the bathroom, closing the door and quickly locking it.

My make up took longer than I expected, nearly double the time it normally does. I clutched the sides of the sink, taking deep breaths before looking at my reflection in the mirror. The person in front of me was someone I hardly recognized.

I stood up straight, taking one last deep breath before walking out of the bathroom and making my way down the stairs. I go to the dining room, sitting beside Rafe. I smiled, holding my hand out to the woman before looking over to the man.

"Bonjour, mon nom est Lizzy" I said.

"Bonjour, Lizzy" the man said.

I didn't say much during the meeting except for little translation. They wanted to see the cross, Rafe leading the way.

I stood behind everyone else as the man examined the cross up close. I found myself staring every so often at my ring. A sickening feeling in my stomach.

I tried to ignore it, talking to the man about the cross in French to make him more comfortable. It did the trick, until he asked where we found it.

My mind raced back to the last time I saw Kiara. The feeling of watching Rafe hold up a gun to her and her friends.

"If you'll excuse me" I said.

Rafe grabbed my arm as I tried to pass him.

"Are you okay?" He whispered.

"Yeah" I sighed.

Rose looked at me, knowing I was lying as I went to the bathroom. I grabbed my chest as it grew harder to breath.

"You're okay" I whispered.

I thought by telling myself that, I'd actually be okay. A knock on the door startled me.

"Liz" Rose said.

I looked at the door, unlocking it and opening it in the same motion.

"I'm fine, Rose" I said. "Just give me a couple minutes."

She slowly nodded before reluctantly walking away. I closed the door, locking it again before sliding down the wall and closing my eyes.