Ch 20: Finding Kie

I walked out of the meeting room as Reggie grabbed my arm.

"Doing anything fun tonight?" He asked.

"Probably just staying in" I said. "After all I do go home tomorrow."

"Want to grab dinner?" He asked. "As a going away of course."

"Listen I have a boyfriend at home" I said.

"Can't go as friends?" He asked.

"I don't mean to be rude but that seems a bit unprofessional" I said.

He slowly nodded.

"Right" he said. "It was nice to have you here. Hope you change your mind in working for me, I am always a call away."

I smiled walking outside. I said my goodbyes to everybody before walking to my car. My phone began buzzing. I grabbed it out of my purse to see a picture of my mom.

"Hello?" I said.

"Kiara hasn't came home and she was going to Charleston for god knows what" she said. "Can you find her?"

"Mom how do you expect me to find her! This city is big!" I said.

"She was supposed to be home at 8, I don't doubt she is still there. Don't you have a tracker on her phone?" She asked.

I pursed my lips sighing.

"I'll find her" I said.

"Thank you" she said.

I hung up the call walking to my car. Getting inside I locked the door as I pulled up find my iPhone. I looked through the devices until I found Kiara's phone. I clicked it showing her location.

"I'm going to kill her" I said pushing the push start.

I drove until I reached complete emptiness. I put my brights on as I approached a truck that looked like Heywards.

"These fucking kids" I said to myself.

A couple heads popped up as I passed by turning around so I was now behind the truck, I got out leaving my car on. I walked towards the bed seeing three bodies, one of them being Kiara.

"All of you get in the god damn car!" I yelled.

Kiara, JJ and Pope jumped out of the bed getting into my car. I looked at the truck before getting back into my car. I looked at Kiara before driving off to my rental home. I parked in the driveway not saying a word.

"So are we going to get out?" JJ asked.

I grabbed my keys handing them to Pope.

"The silver one is to open the door" I said.

Pope and JJ got out of the car. Kiara began to do the same.

"You stay in the car" I said.

Pope and JJ closed their doors waking to the front door.

"Look" she said.

"Kie I don't care what your reasoning is for being here, I really don't. You have put them through so much. At least communicate with them! I'm tired of continuously having your back!" I said.

"I wouldn't be doing all of this if you would tell the cops the truth!" She yelled.

"The truth about what!" I said.

"You know John B did not kill Peterkin. Rafe did!" She yelled. "You know it and you're still protecting him over your own family!"

"Nobody told you to go on this goose chase to clear John B's name. You are choosing him over your family! Eventually mom and dad are going to lose it with you Kiara!" I yelled. "Say what you want about Rafe but at least he cares about his family."

She sat there not saying anything.

"I didn't see who killed Peterkin. But you have to understand I love him Kiara, I really do. I know you see him as a bad guy but he's not. I know you probably hate me right now but be lucky it's me picking you up right now and not mom" I said.

She got out of the car storming through the front door. I got out locking the doors from the inside. I walked inside finding JJ sitting at the table eating chips.

"I'll get you guys some blankets" I said. "There's a guest bedroom that's a queen if two of you want to share and one sleeps on the couch."

JJ and Pope quickly ran the guest bedroom. I handed Kiara a blanket and two extra pillows.

"Goodnight Kie" I said. "We'll be going home tomorrow."

The next morning I sat up at how quiet the place was considering there were three teenagers here. I got up and walked to the guest bedroom to find no sign of Pope or JJ. I walked out to the living room finding a note on the table.

I'm sorry Liz but I have to do this for John B

-Kie

"Fuck!" I yelled crumbling the note.

I grabbed my phone instantly going to the find my iPhone app to see she stopped sharing her location with me. I threw my phone across the room.