Ch 21: Shot in the Heart

I sat in the Cameron house across from Rose.

"I feel like you want to say something?" I said.

"Liz" she said placing her hand in mine. "Rafe needs help."

I looked at her not saying a word.

"You know he does. I just want to help him" she said. "You're apart of this family now. We got our stories straight. Rafe was here when Peterkin got shot."

"I know" I said. "I've already got the story down."

"Ward told me Sarah was shot" she said.

"What? S-she's alive?" I asked.

"Yes they are in the Bahamas and nearly took the gold. Rafe shot her" she said.

"Huh?" I said not believing the words from her mouth.

"I don't know if it was intentional or not" she said.

I got up walking towards the French doors looking outside.

"Where is he?" I asked.

"He's on the Druthers right now" she said.

I sprinted out to the deck hopping on the large boat.

"Rafe!" I yelled.

He popped his head out of the cabin. I walked over smacking him.

"Did you shoot her?" I asked.

"Lizzy" he said.

"Don't lie to me right now. I chose your family over my own, tell me the god damn truth!" I said.

"I didn't mean to" he said.

"Unbelievable!" I yelled.

"Liz, Lizzy don't go" he said as I walked off onto the dock.

"I just need some time Rafe" I yelled.

I walked through the house to my car. I screamed the second the door shut. Taking a few deep breaths I drove home. Walking through the doors my parents through their arms around me.

"I missed you guys too" I said. "Sorry about Kie, she just left and turned her location off."

"It's okay sweetie at least we know she was safe" my mother said. "For the most part."

"Did you just leave the Cameron's?" My father asked.

I nodded.

"What wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing" I lied.

"I'll go grab your bags from your car" he said.

I smiled as he walked out the door. Hours later I decided to turn my phone back on to have three missed calls and five texts from Rafe. I sighed getting up to go to my car. As I pulled into Tannyhill my heart ached. Rafe sat alone in his room. I walked in closing the door.

"Why did you do it?" I asked.

He sat there not responding.

"What is wrong with you!" I cried.

"Lizzy" he said softly.

"It's like you're a completely different person when I'm not around!" I said.

I couldn't help the tears falling down my face.

"I-I didn't mean to" he said.

I stared at him wiping the tears.

"I don't know if I can do this if you keep it up" I said. "I love you. So much. But it's like when I'm not around, you turn into someone else. Someone who likes to hurt people!"

"Lizzy please stop" he said grabbing at his hair.

I held onto my chest as my heart beat began to slow down.

"I put my life on the line for you Rafe. I lied to the cops about who killed Peterkin. I stuck by your side even after that" I said. "I need some time alone."

"Lizzy please, please don't say that. I need you" he said.

"I'm sorry" I said.

I walked out of his room as he pleaded for me to stay. He followed me out to my car as tears stained his face.

"Lizzy please don't go, please" he said.

I turned around looking him in his eyes. My eyes grew soft as I ran into his arms.

"I'm telling you Rafe. I'm so close to losing it with you" I said. "I can't stand you hurting people."

He felt him nod as I looked up.

"I got something for you. I wanted to give it to you once you came back" he said.

I watched as he took out a small black velvet box from his back pocket. My heart stopped as he slowly opened it revealing an emerald ring.

"I know green is your favorite color" he said getting down on one knee. "So basically what I'm trying to say is-"

"Yes" I said.

"I didn't even ask" he laughed.

"I know but the answer is yes" I said.

He took the ring out placing it on my left hand. I took a deep breath looking at the ring on my finger.

"Holy shit" I said. "Is it real?"

"I'm a Cameron of course it's real" he said. "My dad helped me pick it out."

"I love it" I laughed.

"I love you" he said standing up.

I looked at the ring then to him grabbing his face.

"I love you Rafe Cameron" I said.

He leaned down placing his lips on mine. He scooped me up in his arms walking us back inside and to his room.