Chapter 22

Chapter 22

On Monday, I walked up to the main entrance and felt a wave of dread wash over me. I felt guilt and jealousy and an overall feeling of wanting to skip any class I shared with Robbie. I didn't want to see him. I didn't want to hear his voice. All of this would be impossible as he sat next to me in Math, and the teacher loved to call on us since no one else in the class seemed to really know what was going on.

I didn't have to try and avoid him as when I got there; he sat as far away from me as possible. His eyes were glued to his desk and unsticking only to look up at whatever problem was being worked out on the board.

Eventually, we had to work in pairs. I fiddled with the cover of my calculator as he wrote down the problems on the board.

"Are you feeling better?" He asked me when he finished.

"Mhm," I said, trying to focus on the worksheet I had to complete.

"That's good," He said, and I knew he was thinking of something else to say. I could feel his eyes on me while I worked.

"Lia, I'm sorry I was so pushy," he said finally.

"It's fine, Robbie. I overreacted," I said, not looking up.

"Okay," he answered with uncertainty.

We went back to work, and then he spoke again.

"I'm also sorry I was pushy that day... on the stairwell."

"You weren't pushy." I said, looking up at him, "You didn't do anything I didn't want you to do. It's just not a good idea."

He played with his pencil while I worked and then stooped his head down.

"I meant what I said, that I loved you. I just don't know...we need to talk."

I rolled my eyes, "aren't your hands a bit full?"

"What?" He asked, straightening up.

"I met your friend."

"My friend?"

"Mhm. That one whose relationship you don't want to define yet."

"Lia, help me out here, love; you're losing me."

"The blonde living in your house."

His green eyes widened for a second.

I looked at him knowingly, "yeah."

"She's a family friend."

"Ahh, yes, I'm familiar with you and that dynamic," I said, sounding more bitter than I wanted to sound.

"No. You aren't. What did she tell you?" He asked, his hand covering mine to stop me from writing.

"Why does she think I'm your cousin?" I asked, putting my pencil down.

"Because she's...not bright."

"I gathered that."

"Lia, I have a picture of us on my nightstand. Why would I have that if I'm with another girl?"

"Lana is also in that picture."

"She's barely there."

I shook my head and looked down at my paper.

"Can we talk?" He asked, and I felt his warm hand on my knee.

"Fine, you leave first," I said, crossing my arms in front of me.