Chapter 47

Chapter 47

Lana and I went straight to Maria's apartment after school. As soon as we were inside, Lana threw her book bag on the floor and plopped onto Maria's couch, stretching out her long tanned legs. It was already autumn, and Lana refused to wear leggings. I put my bag down on one of the stools tucked underneath her kitchen counter and loosened my uniform tie.

"Water?" Maria asked me. She didn't have class today, and it seemed as if she had spent her whole day in her PJs. She wore light purple leggings and a large white t-shirt. Her feet had socks that were bunched up at her calves. Her thick dark hair was a messy knot at the top of her head.

"Yeah, thanks," I said, making myself comfortable on the floor in front of her coffee table.

"So I found these letters, and guys, they are so cute. I want to do that thing like that movie where they reunite lost lovers."

"María, you have a 10-page paper you need to write," I said, not looking up from my math book.

I had a lot on my plate today and was annoyed that I hadn't finished as much as I had planned before school was over. It would have been fine if I could just work on it at home, but Maria asked us to come over, saying she missed us.

Lana told her we had a lot of homework and Maria suggested we could just do it at her house, that she had a lot as well, but this way we could keep each other company.

"I don't want to do the essay; this is much more entertaining," Maria said, looking at the scrapbook she made with all the letters she found.

"You're going to do the essay anyway, and you're going to end up stressing and pulling your hair out when you have an hour before it's due and only a paragraph is written," I warned her.

"Fine, I just wanted to share these letters with you guys. I'll do my essay; I just need to be in the right mood."

"What mood?" I asked incredulously.

"Last minute panic?" She said, giving me a sheepish smile.

"Fine, suit yourself," I said, looking back at my math book.

"Look at this," she said, pulling out a letter from a box that looked as if it had seen its better days some 20 years ago.

"What is that?" Lana asked, also looking for any excuse not to do her work.

"So I found these old letters, and they are so good. It's like a romance novel. This girl is engaged to this guy; we don't like him," she said, pausing to explain, "he's boring and kind of an asshole. Totally takes her for granted, like he writes her letters using a typewriter. Which would be fine except, I am pretty sure someone even does it for him because god forbid he be bothered to get personal."

Lana and I shared a look.

"Anyway, she moved in with the boring man, and he's always gone to work and leaves her all alone, so she meets this other guy, and they start sending letters or emails to each other. Like that book, you know with, with the lake house, except they aren't time traveling and they meet up every few weeks and have sex."

"Oooh, do they describe the sex to each other?" Lana said as she copied my physics homework.

"No, they just do that in person. Why would they write about it?"

"I don't know, like sexting?"

"It's an email...."

"So? You don't think people did that in emails?"

"Well, they don't, they'll mention it, but they don't get graphic, they call it playing cards, but it's so obvious they are not playing any type of cards."