Chapter 34

A/N Hey guys I would really appreciate it if you could vote on my chapters (the little star) once you are done reading it- or even before (and if you haven't if you could go back and do so). I do this for free and getting votes (and comments) is how we get any recognition. Thank you! Hope you enjoy! 

Chapter 34

Noah drove us back to his apartment, parking his bike along the street outside. He lived in a high-rise similar to Abigail's, opulent lobby, serious doorman, and private elevator included. After a silent elevator ride, he opened the door to his place and I noticed his hands were still shaking.  The apartment was decorated classically. It looked like what I always imagined the inside of the plaza hotel to look like. Mahogany wood furniture and marble floors. Lots of creams and beiges and flowers everywhere. 

I touched one of many peonies that sat in a glass vase on the entry desk as he hung up our jackets.

"My mom keeps the local florist in business."

"Pretty," I said.

"Noah, is that you? Why are you home so late?" A woman asked her voice floating down the hallway.

"My mom," Noah said, rolling his eyes. The woman who came around the corner was around my height. I had expected his mother to be extremely tall after someone mentioned she was a model in the mid 90s. She wore a button-up shirt and linen pants.

"Oh, you brought a girl," she said, giving her son a questioning look.

"Mom, this is Lia, Lia, this is my mother."

"Hi, nice to meet you," I said, holding out my hand.

"same sweetheart," she said, smiling at me nervously and then turned to give her son a particular look, "Noah," she said through gritted teeth, "it is really late. You know this isn't acceptable."

"Lia knows I'm on parol," Noah said casually, "she's acting weird because she's embarrassed I'm on parole," Noah said, turning to look at me.

"Not embarrassed, Noah Evan, worried. If you get in trouble, it could set you back months. You've been doing so well."

She gave him a tired look, and I noticed she looked a lot like Noah. Same nose. Same brown eyes.

"Mom, relax. I wasn't doing anything bad."

She looked at me again and noticed my uniform.

"Oh, she's a friend from school? So were you doing homework?" She sounded so hopeful it was almost heartbreaking.

"Yes. And we need to finish a project now, so we should get going," he said, putting his hand between my shoulder blades and pushing me down the hall.

"At this time?" She asked, upset with how late it was.

"Yeah, we ran late. Mom, don't start we need to finish this assignment, it's my fault I slacked off. Lia is a straight-A student. If I don't help her finish, she's going to have to do it on her own."

His mom looked at him with a sad expression. I felt awful lying to her. Noah seemed unbothered.

"You have straight A's?" she asked, turning to look at me.

"Yeah," I said, my voice catching. At least something wasn't a lie.

"Ohh. That's fantastic. Are you guys friends? He needs good friends," She said.

"Okay, mom," Noah said through gritted teeth, "we really have to go; it's a big project."

"Alright," his mom said, giving, "Lia, if you get hungry whatever is in the kitchen, you can help yourself."