Chapter 14: Discoveries and Adjustments

I am warm. Very warm. But it is an improvement considering only seconds ago I was blistering hot and laying on something uncomfortable and lumpy. I try to open my eyes, but they are glued shut. Something cool and wet slithers across my forehead, instantly cooling the tingling heat for a split second. I whimper when the heat returns.

"Ssh," a soft voice soothes. "It's alright." The voice is young and feminine. "You don't need to worry." She is speaking in a foreign language-that much I can tell-but I don't understand how I can understand it. Nor am I certain which language it is.

I don't understand what is going on. Where are my friends? I want to ask, but my throat is clogged and scratchy. Where is Crystal? Where are we? Are they here with you? Who are you? I hate not getting answers! Now I am frightened.

"Daddy!" The girl becomes alarmed at my squirming. Feet lightly stomp away. Based on her voice and the light footsteps, she has got to be very young.

More footsteps-heavier this time-come my way. "Yes, I'm coming! Okay," a man sighs above me. This must be her dad. "What was going on, Christine? Oh." I feel two gentle hands caressing my face. "Easy. It's okay, young man." The girl-Christine-whimpers in fright at my fit. "It'll be fine, Christine. Can you refill this bowl of water for him?"

I mutter and grumble under my breath. I want answers! Where are my friends? Where's Crystal? What's happening? My eyes open, and I gasp in shallow breaths. My vision is blurry, I blink quickly, and the man's face comes to view. His face is as warm as his hands, and just as soothing.

"Hey. Are you okay, young man?"

I lift my head and a wave of nausea hits me. I lean over, intent on throwing up, but I only dry heave.

"It's probably best if you lay still for now. You and the rest of your crew are extremely dehydrated and sunburnt."

My skin pricks at me like a thousand tiny needles. I will be peeling.

"M-my friends?" My God, it even hurts to talk! My voice is dry and raspy.

Christine returns with the bowl.

"Little Lotte, fetch us some drinking water, as well, please."

She nods and runs out of the room.

The man coughs lightly. "Your friends are fine. See?"

I follow his extended hand and see everyone but Crystal, of course. They look as bad as I feel, but I'm relieved. All of us are here. Well, most of us, anyway.

Christine returns with the water. The man holds the cup for me as I gulp it down, water dribbling from my chin. He wipes my mouth with a piece of cloth. "Take it easy, now. It won't do you any good if you vomit this up."

"Where are we?" I ask, ignoring his comment.

"Why, my son! You don't know?"

I shake my head.

Incredulous, he replies, "My boy, you are in Persia!"

Persia? "Persia?" I repeat. He nods. "Persia hasn't existed since the early 1900s."

The man frowns. "What nonsense are you talking about, my boy?"

Now I am completely dumbfounded, and my throat is burning up. I don't want to talk anymore. "It's the year 2019. Persia no longer exists; it's Iran now."

The man leans back on the bed. "Maybe I should have a physician take a look at you. That sun might have done more damage than I thought."

"What?" I rasp, eyes getting drowsy.