Chapter 6: Truth in Fiction

I don't know how long I slept, but it was definitely more than eight hours. The sun was actually beginning to set when my eyes began to groggily blink open. My vision swarms a bit before adjusting.

I yawn, tongue arching back into my mouth. I stretch downwards, only to plop down into a curled position to lick my butt.

I wish that was something I could've stopped, but the pull to clean that particular region was too strong.

"She's awake, Father!"

I jump to my feet. This is why 'Psycho' is still scary. Never sneak up on someone who is taking a bath!

Reza wheels himself to me.

"Don't touch her, Reza!" Nadir voices from the kitchen. "She is the Khanum's property, remember?"

"I won't."

And he doesn't. He stares at me; I return the favor.

"You're eyes don't look that weird to me."

I guess a sniveling child like yourself wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

"You are pretty though..."

Well, there's something. Thank you.

We continue to stare, unsure what to do with one another. This turns into its own little game for some time until...

"Father..."

"Yes?"

"She won't stop staring at me."

I blink. You won't stop staring at me.

"Pardon?"

"The cat won't stop looking at me."

My name is Crystal.

"...Are you looking at her?"

"Yes."

"Okay, then."

It takes all my strength to keep me from chuckling. It's only common sense, Reza.

"But-"

"Reza, go find something else to do."

Reza, dejected, sighs, "Fine." He moves from the living room to the creaky hallway. Bored, I prance behind him. Reza wheels himself outside onto the back porch. The sky is bursting with blinding oranges and yellows. He stares out at the horizon, sighing quietly to himself. And it hits me like a punch in the gut: I've never seen anyone look more lonely.

It must be hard for him. His sickness makes him disabled, an invalid. The other children must want nothing to do with him. He and Erik share that bond.

Guilt gnaws my heart. I pitter-patter to him. I look up from the side of his wheelchair. He hasn't noticed me. I leap onto his lap.

"Oh!"

I set myself right on his thighs, rubbing my head against his hand excruciatingly. I might be trying to be nice, but I still deserve some attention. Reza interprets my gesture and begins petting me, hesitant at first, then growing more confident. I purr as his hands grows stronger in touch.

"Reza." Nadir Khan stops besides the wheelchair. He stares down at me and glares. "I told you not to touch her. She's royalty. Touching her is like touching the Khanum-you aren't aloud to unless given permission otherwise."

"But Father, she came to me. She sat in my lap!"

Khan sighs deeply, as if trying to settle his nerves. One sniff and I can smell the anxious air emitting from him. I leap from Reza's lap to appease Nadir. I rub myself against his leg, purring loudly.