Chapter 7: Strange Being

If my writing is a little messy, forgive me. I'm way too excited to upload to finish editing. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Nadir rolls a sobbing Reza into the house. Erik trails behind him. "He's bleeding profusely. I'll probably need to stitch him up."

Setting Reza by the sink, Nadir holds out his arm, wrapping a towel around it. Reza whimpers. Khan runs a soothing hand down Reza's scalp.

I leap onto the table, pacing the wooden top. That is a lot of blood. The cut is deep. Thank goodness Erik is here! Oh boy, I'm watching the master at work!

Erik pulls back the towel, his face registering nothing.

"Well?" urges Khan.

"I need you to grab whatever you can to sterilize the wound. Then I'll need something to wrap around it when I'm done stitching."

"So it will need stitches."

"Regrettably. Now hurry."

Khan's feet stomp out of the room.

Erik gently removes the rag from Reza's arm. Reza's tears pour heavily down his face. He gazes adamantly at Erik. I realize wants comfort. And he wants it from Erik.

That is not going to happen. Erik is not one to coo reassurances. It's a rare treat-almost like that of a blue moon-when he displays his emotions to Nadir.

I meow, trying in some way to communicate my sympathies. All I got were teary eyes and a rough hush from Erik.

I hated it and loved it.

"Any time now, Nadir!" roars Erik.

Khan's reply is muffled to Reza's ears, but I heard it perfectly. I guarantee expletives in his response.

Reza releases a harsh sob. It pierces my ears. Erik's eye twitches.

What can I do to help Reza?

Ooh.

What can I do to make Reza laugh?

Well, when I was human, I used to watch cat videos to help make me laugh. I am a cat now, so maybe I can use my feline charms to spawn some hilarity.

Let the show begin.

I hiss, picturing that male cat from outside. My fur puffs into spikes and my back arches. Reza's sobs catch in his throat. He stares.

I meow fiercely, clawing at the table. I'm basically making a fool of myself. I waltz back and forth on the table, my head bending at an odd angle. I jump lightly on the tip of my toes like a ballerina crossing over to her partner. Then I jump back, hiss, and do a roll. Mission Impossible! Yeah!

Erik's eyes turn toward me, unreadable. He doesn't look away though either.

A small giggle emits from Reza's lips.

Pretending that his giggle infused my "fury", I prance toward the edge of the table in his direction. Now for the grand finale. Not watching where I was going, I "slip" off the table, crying out as I do so. Reza laughs so hard he wheezes.

Nadir enters the scene. "What-?"

"There is something wrong with your cat," drawls Erik. "It hissed at the air, going mental, then it fell off the table.

"M-my cat?" Nadir sputters. "She's royalty, I tell you!"

"Mmm."

He scowls at Erik, then me.

I roll onto my back, rubbing it against the floor. See? I'm cute.

"That was really funny, Dad!" hiccups Reza, tears still visible in his eyes.

I jump onto Reza's lap, feeling accomplished.

Erik glares at me. "You will have to move if you wish for me to attend to the boy."

I sneeze. Fine! But I deserve a multitude of "lovies" later!. I leave the room, going behind the entryway. I sit down, not wanting to be too far from the action.

Khan snickers.

"What?"

"I swear, it's like she understands what we're saying."

Erik snorts. "Impossible! Reza, I need you to hold this rag down, okay? Good boy. This will be painful, but I will be as fast as I can. Nadir, clamp yourself onto his arm, I don't want him to move."

Reza's whimpers and small shouts, stab my ears. Nadir whispers words of adoration and sympathy; words of bravery. The image of what is happening appears in my head, and the idea of skin being tugged by a needle makes me feel slightly woozy; I'm suddenly thankful for my era and how much we have developed medically.

"Done," says Erik.

Erik kept his word: that was fast.

"I'm so proud of you."

Reza sniffles. "Thanks, Father." Another sniffle. "What he says is true, you know."

"What about?"

Oh, God! Erik's voice is melodic. What a drug!

"The cat. She listens. Her every move, it's like she can understand what we're saying."

The room is quiet.

"No more need for this nonsense," Erik's voice is clipped. "I'll take the cat, and return her to the Khanum's room."

"So you did steal her," Khan's accusatory tone crushes my ears.

"I did not. I'll have to see how she escaped. However, the room is secure. I designed it; it is impeccable that she should escape. Maybe we have a new traitor in the kingdom."

"I'll go with you."

"Oh, so you believe me now, I see."

"No. I want to see if I can find any evidence of someone else being in the room."

"If you must, Nadir. I don't know why you insist on accompanying me on everything. I'm not that much fun, you know."

"Trust me, I know. Well, Reza, it's been quite the day for you. I'm certain you're tired."

"Yep," Reza's voice is meek. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell asleep already.

Khan wheels Reza out of the kitchen, moving down through the dark hallway, but I can see everything. They turn left after passing three doors. Reza's room.

Erik follows only a few steps.

There is some shuffling, then...

"Erik! Please sing me a song."

Erik unfolds his arms. "As you wish."

I couldn't resist. As Erik's form disappears through Reza's door, I run after him, being as stealthy as possible. Erik sits on the edge of Reza's bed. There is silence, then there are a choir of angels in the room.

Erik's speaking voice was somewhat describable, but his singing voice...there is no description! It was everything anyone could hope to hear. It was the voice of an angel; lilting, heavy, buried, floating, mournful, glorious, triumphant...everything. Anything. Erik's mission was to get Reza to sleep, so his lullaby mainly infected his target, but I could feel the lure to sleep. I could feel the pull of his magic, his curse.

Nadir yawns.

Apparently, I am not the only one.

I settle on the floor, unable to stand anymore.

As Erik finishes, he carefully stands up. Erik and Nadir walk out, Reza's soft breathing barely audible. Nadir shuts the door.

"I will give you one thing, Nadir."

"Huh?"

"The cat was comical. Almost like she knew Reza needed a laugh. Creatures-particularly felines-are certainly strange beings, no?"