Chapter 11: The Khanum

When I woke up this morning, it took my muddled brain a moment to realize I'm a cat again. My enjoyment as a human was very brief; but honestly, I shouldn't let my metamorphosis ruin my mood. Erik saw me-me!-last night! Oh my gosh! That was earnestly (and undeniably) the greatest moment of my life. I could tell he liked me, even though he thought I was an illusion. Whether he enjoyed my company based on an emotional aspect or a physical one, is hard for me to judge.

So...I guess I'm granted human rights for a couple of hours each night now. I meowl in annoyance. Sadistic witch!

I stretch, unfurling myself from Erik's lap, who is still deeply asleep. He looks peaceful, at least.

My ear flickers towards the door at the sound of footsteps. I instinctively inhale, and a strong scent of cloves ram my nose. Nadir...!? The door opens, and there he is.

The pride in me swells. I'm getting good. Being able to identify people by smell is certainly handy.

"Oh, Erik," he sighs, his palm hanging limply at his side. "We really need to teach you moderation."

Or we can just withdraw those wretched drugs from him altogether.

Kneeling down, Khan gently fiddles with Erik's bare face, showing no hint of fear. I feel a tinge of admiration for Nadir just then. He is truly Erik's friend. And conscious, I remind myself.

Nadir pivots to face me. "Were you watching him through the night, my dear?"

I meow brightly, rising onto all fours, my tail swishing keenly.

Nadir sighs. "Erik, you have your very own guardian and don't even know it." Nadir swiftly lifts Erik into his arms. "Allah, Erik." He must barely weigh a thing. Erik is so skinny he looks...well, he looks like a skeleton. Nadir carries Erik to the bed and lays him down, adjusting his head and arms so they are in a more comfortable position. He places the mask on a burgundy bed stand.

"You won't say anything," Nadir reaches down and pats my head. "Erik loathes to be coddled."

That is true.

"Well, I am now going to work. Keep your remarkably grey eyes on him, will you?" Nadir shuts the ginormous door with a clunk.

At least he talks to me like I'm human.

I place my furry behind on the cold floor, dutifully watching over Erik as he breathes a deep, relaxed sigh. The peace is interrupted when both doors suddenly open, the handles heavily slamming against the walls. My tail explodes, hair spiked. I give a quick hiss and scurry underneath the piano bench as Nadir rushes back into the bedroom.

What the heck?! Then I smell it: Royalty. The Khanum must be on her way.

I am not ready to meet this woman.

"Erik! You need to wake up!" Nadir is shaking Erik, basically bouncing him on top of the bed like a ball. He slaps his face. Erik moans, but does not stir. I bound from the shadows and leap onto Erik's chest. Nadir stops to stare at me. If grand and grating motions won't wake him, maybe gentleness will. I lightly paw his sternum while I nuzzle his naked cheek, purring.

His finger twitches.

My pride beams. Ah, the keen mind of cats.

I whisper a delicate meow in his ear, giving it a dry lick.

His eyes yank open, a small groan passing through his lips. I leap down, exploiting my pride with a tall walk.

"Oh, good," breathes Nadir. "Allah, Erik! I thought you wouldn't wake up!"