Chapter 12: Erik's Attention

"What do you mean 'she's nowhere in sight'?!" Tiffany screeches, which influences a dry hacking thanks to the sandy air.

"Easy," I mumble, grasping her shoulder gently. "We're all thirsty, and we appear to be-"

"In the middle of fucking nowhere," finishes Sam sardonically.

"D-does anyone remember what happened?" Lee whimpers. "My memories are b-blurry."

While all of us are concerned and confused, Lee seems to be the one who is suffering the most. It's boiling hot, but she is trembling violently, a cold sweat dripping down her forehead. Her face is blotchy, and I can only imagine the severe sunburn coming her way. It took us an hour to find shade, which is under a tall, wimpy palm tree. Our next-necessary-objective is to find water, which is what we'll need in order to succeed our first priority: finding Crystal.

"I remember we were at the circus," I volunteer, forcing myself to remain calm. I am the man of the group, and I need to stay logical. "We were all there, including Crystal."

"Where's my comb?" rasps Tiffany, rummaging through her bag. "No." More rustling. "No! No! No! I can't find my comb!" Her hair is as hectic as her personality right now. Mascara streaks down her cheeks.

She has to be consoled before she panics. "Tiffany-"

"I need my comb!"

"Who gives a shit about your stupid comb!" hisses Sam vehemently. "Look where we are!"

"Shut up, bitch!"

"Hey hey hey!" My fear of budding chaos forces my tone to turn aggressive. "We need to settle down. We can't waste energy or hydration. Tiffany, I know it's frustrating, but there is absolutely no water in sight and crying will only make you more dehydrated."

Tiffany's soft cries turn to whimpers as she tries to control her emotions. I understand. Everyone needs their security blanket when things get rough. It's a way to build up a self-confidence that vanishes when we are no longer in control. I used to turn to Crystal...

"As soon as we find a town, we will get you a comb," I promise, clearing my scratchy throat. I feel like I've swallowed nothing but sand. "I say we rest during the day, and continue walking at night."

"That sounds good to me," whispers a drowsy Lee, who is leaning against Sam.

"She's not giving us a choice here," mutters Sam. "Get off, Lee! Your body heat is making me slicker with sweat. God, I'd kill for a vodka."

"I also remember...Crystal going into a tent with a weird woman." Tiffany's eyes are distant, a vapid pool of reflection. "Maybe we'll dream our lost memories."

"Maybe." I lean against the base of the tree. "Let's try to sleep."

I think we can all agree that sleep did not come to us naturally.

***********************************************************************************************

Ah! I lick my lips, trying to gather whatever drops I may have missed. Now that my tummy is full of creamy deliciousness, I know what I need to do. It's not something I look forward to, though. Gory scenes aren't something I admired as a human, but as a cat, my nose is more forgiving towards the smell of blood; and, as a faithful guardian, I'm willing to amp up my courage for Erik's sake.

So...I plan to be there while he completes the filthy Khanum's assassination.

As much as I don't want to witness the mutilation of a family, I want to be there for Erik. Self-dread was already flowing through him when the Khanum left, I can't imagine how he'd be after the job was finished. I won't attach myself to his hip, but I will be his shadow, watching over him from afar. When I see self-dread turn to utter loathing, that's when I will leap into his arms.