Maa

Days were going by. Mata Kaushalya counts each day, as everyone else in the palace, waiting for her Ram, Sita and Lakshman. She was the mother who loved to take care of her children, never denying almost any of their demands, spoiling them with adoration. Though her children were never demanding. She was the happiest, but now there was only darkness in her life. After Ram's banishment and king Dasharath's death, everything in her life seems to stop. She barely let the ray of morning sun come into her part of the palace, reflecting her grief for her children.

But today, more than Ram-Lakshma, she was missing her daughter in-law... no, her daughter, Sita. Like every mother, she also believed that if there was anyone who would be suitable for her Ram. Ram had a divinity, he was serene and sorted. She sometimes used to get tensed if they would ever find brides, not only for Ram but also for Bharat, Lakshman and Shatrughan. To her, her children were the best human beings possible on this earth. When she saw Sita for the first time, she felt crying in happiness. She could not believe that any jodi could be as compatible as theirs! What could go wrong? But alas, everything went wrong. It was her Ram's coronation, but he was banished. Banished by her beloved husband at the request of Kaikeyi. Kaikeyi... the one who loved Ram more than her. But Kaushalya forgave her; mistakes are made by humans after all.

What amazed her most was Sita's decision to follow Ram in the forest. Sita, the princess of Mithila, daughter in law of Ayoddhya, loved and adored by everyone- decided to lead the life of a hermit without thinking twice, leaving every possible facility behind. Just because she loved Ram! Just because to follow the duties of a wife. Kaushalya often hallucinated those sweet jingles of Sita's anklet in the morning. She used to come to her, she used to take care of her with so much affection that her life felt fulfilled. Sita became her daughter over time. Those little talks and laughter they used to share- oh how much she missed all these! Her heart ached. A tear dropped from her eyes, when she suddenly felt someone was wiping her tears.

"Sita didi would not be happy if she saw you crying, Maa." said Urmila. Kaushalya did not say anything, just looked at her blankly. Urmila smiled, she took Kaushlaya near the bed and made her rest. She started to pat Kaushalya's head lightly, as like a mother trying to make her daughter sleep, humming a sweet melody. Kaushalya closed her eyes. Urmila, her Lakshman's newly wedded wife, her Sita's sister, living a life like a hermit in the palace, also following her duties as a wife. She still did not understand how Urmila promised Lakshman to be his second priority? Kaushalya saw her penance. Her pain enduring nature never failed Kaushlya to be surprised.

"Is Maa sleeping?" another sweet voice came. She could tell even by closing her eyes that it was the youngest daughter in-law of the family, Shrutkeerti. She was an innocent child when she came here as her Shatrughan's wife. Throughout these years, the harsher world made her a responsible woman, a very untimely growth one must admit. Who could thought several years back that this younger daughter in-law of Raghuvanshi clan would became the main support of her husband? Kaushlaya felt bad for her, she supposed to be most adored, spoiled with love of her elders.

Mandavi was passing by Kaushalya's room. She knew her sisters might be there hence entering the room.

Urmila asked, "Didi, had Kaikeyi maa have her dinner?"

"Hmm", Mandavi nodding assertively.

Mandavi was polar opposite of Bharat. She was strong; her emotions could hardly be noticed. But she used to be happy, Kaushlaya knew it. Now, after Bharat went to Nandigram, leaving Mandavi behind in the palace, it made her more aloof and stricter. Kaushalya badly wanted Mandavi to express her feelings, but it was next to impossible. But her eyes always spoke thousands of untold pain.

Sleep took over mata Kaushlaya slowly...

The night was dark. Mata Kaikeyi was sitting on the couch, near the window. Everything was making her restless. Since Ram's exile and Bharat leaving the palace, nothing remained same. She lost all of her children. Her one momentarily decision changed everything. She regretted for believing Manthara. Yes, she was betrayed by her own dai maa. One who she believed her well wisher poisoned her mind successfully, and how much she regretted it!