Hypnotic Taken Over Me (2)

Lakshman could not think about anything to say to Urmila. He was looking for her to speak on an important matter, but time seemed to stop around them. Her doe shaped brown eyes were widened in surprise, while her lips were slightly open seeing him there unexpectedly. The wet dupatta was clinging to her body, giving him the hints of her beautiful curves. Her long wavey hair was unruly right now due to wind. The day he first saw her, came to his mind.

Flashback

It never happened before in his life. Lakshman was well known for the strictness regarding women. Honestly, he was only friendly towards his brothers, sometimes his mothers. But mostly he was a man who loved to be by himself, and of course with his Ram bhaiya.

But not that night. Last night he was poking fun on Ram that how he forgot to greet princess Sita, and how love was working it's way towards Ram's heart and enjoying Ram's embarrassment. Oh, how much he missed Bharat and Shatrughan! Because a shy Ram was not an everyday thing. But tonight, he knew sleep was not going to be his friend. Thinking Ram was asleep, he went out to sit in cold breeze.

Urmila- that's the name she told in the morning at garden. Her voice was sweet, her smile was one of the most beautiful things he ever experienced. Without any prior acknowledgement or communication, she affected him. His alert mind went to peace for a moment, though he recovered quickly. But he wanted to know her more. He wanted HER more. "No way, it could not be happening!" He chided himself in his mind. Why could not he erase her from his mind? What a wicked game it was? He dicided he had to stay away from the woman.

There Ram was also sleepless, but he did not miss to realize that his brother was in same condition as him. The difference was, Ram accepted his feelings, while Lakshman was adamant to not break his resolve.

            ◇•°•◇ Few days later ◇•°•◇

Sita was decked up for the swayambar. No one could take their eyes off of her. Sisters were buzzing with excitemnet too. As if four of them knew the result but they were waiting for the turns on events unfold before them.

(The course of swayambar, Pinaka and Lord Parshurama is known by most of us. So I am not including those parts)

That night, if with one word we should describe the sisters room, it was exhilarate. Though Sita believed that Ram would be the one she will present the garland with, when finally the time came- it was surreal. She still could not believe her fate. She was grateful to mata Gauri. On the other hand, Mandavi and Shrutkeerti were already excited to plan the wedding. Midst of everything, no one noticed Urmila was uncharacteristically quite.

She saw Lakshman smiled today, for the first time in all these days. For some reason, his happiness increased her happiness. But one thing she could not understand. Their eyes met for once, but the man diverted his attention almost immediately. For the rest of the evening, he did not even acknowledge her presence, although he engaged in conversations with others. And suddenly she realized it was not for the first time he behaved such.

Previously, those several mornings while they used to return from the Gauri temple and "accidently" kept meeting Ram and Lakshman on their way, Lakshman seemed aloof to her. Urmila knew he generally liked to stay beside his brother, not taking the part in conversation. Now when she was thinking, he otherwise maintained a formal communication with all but her. This made her heart drop. Could she be wrong? And even if that certain prince did not have the manners to address her, who cares? "You", her heart whispered. She was annoyed with herself.

The next morning, they went to Gauri temple, and Sita told Urmila to bring some kumkum and flowers. She rushed on her way back, and hit a... wall, she guessed? She almost fell on her back but one strong arm wrapped around her bare waist keeping her balance and pulled back towards his chest. Apparently, that "wall" was Lakshman. Holding his another bicep, she looked up at him. The brown eyes met the black ones. Both inched towards one another, like in trance. Lips were inches apart. And suddenly Lakshman pushed back her harshly and said angrily, "Could not you see where you are going while walking?"

Her face reddened with anger. She gave him an angry glare and ran towards the temple without saying a word. She was not going to give a single attention to this arrogant prince anymore. Angry tears were taking their places on her beautiful eyes, but she removed them in a haste. Her sisters were waiting, she could not ruin the day.

Contrarily, Lakshman was astonished by how both his mind and body reacted against his own will. They almost kissed! No! It's not going to happen. Not today, not ever- he was determined.

Flashback ends

Lakshman came out of the daze. He ran his hands on his face. The rain was not going to stop anytime soon. His deep voice boomed over the clearing like thunder,

"I need to talk to you, about the marriage proposal."

To be continued...

A/N

I am sorry for the cliffhanger again. To be honest, I want to give bit more details, having some sub plots in mind. But cannot arrange them properly. I do not want to drag the story, but I do not want to keep it incomplete as well. I will be grateful if you guys can keep patience with my writing. Also, please let me know if it's keeping up with your expectations.
And last but not the least, a heartfelt thanks to you all for giving so much love my previous chapter. It means a lot to me.

Cover photo by Roni Ruth Palmer, taken from google. No copyright infringement intended.