The Twins

It was a few days after Ram's coronation. The whole city of Ayoddhya was joyful. The palace seems to have got its spirit back; as it used to be before the exile of Ram. The only difference was, Raja Dashrath was not with them. Everyone missed him, but once we took birth, death became inevitable, didn't it? With the memories everyone had to move through the next phases of life.

Lakshman was standing in the corridor of the court at night. It was a long day. The brothers dived straight into their respective works for the kingdom. After those long fourteen years, finally the Raghuvanshi brothers were together. They still carried some grief and guilt in their hearts, each for different reasons, but they were contemptuous. Finally Ram could have his all three younger brothers with him, and the younger ones had their Ram bhaiya to serve for. The day was hot, followed by rain in the evening. Now it was drizzling, carrying the petrichor* and a cool breeze. He felt a tap on his left shoulder, he looked, and no one was on his left. He smiled looking on his right and called the name, "Shatru!"

Shatrughan smiled back, his eyes twinkling. When the trio got back, one of the things that brothers were missing was their youngest sibling's spontaneousness, that mischievous smile, his antics and that twinkle of his eyes. He seemed to grow up, more mature than any of them. Though it was not the full truth, every one of them changed with the passing time. But for Ram, Bharat and Lakshman, that change of their youngest brother was kind of a thorn that kept piercing their hearts. He was their ladla*, even to Lakshman. But the new days were bringing back some realizations and relief as well after everyone was together again. They were getting their drama queen, I mean, prince, back slowly! And how much it made everyone joyful!

"Why are you standing here? You should be back in your room by now! You still need love tips from me, don't you?" Shatrughan teased Lakshman.
" Yeah, yeah, our love guru... " Lakshman rolled his eyes, " and by the way, I can ask the same. What are YOU doing here?"
" Well, I came here on behalf of my friend, though that friend does not know this," Shatrughan winked at Lakshman.

Lakshman looked at Shatrughan in confusion. Shatrughan asked him to sit beside him. Lakshman did. It's been long since the twins were together to converse. They were infamous for their pranks and mischief all around the palace, while mostly Bharat was the victim of their pranks and Ram was their savior.

"In these years Urmila Bhabi became my best friend. She handled all of us gracefully." stated Shatrughan, Lakshman was still confused. "You know, Bharat bhaiya and I got back from Kekaya, the suddenness of every event was hard to keep our cool. We did not know how to react. There was guilt, there was wrath, and the misery of that situation was something that made me scared to this day. I am ready to die, but I would never ever go back to those days, Laksh." Shatrughan's voice broke, Lakshman put his hand around his twin's shoulder in a side hug, comforting him, "Those days are past Shatru, we won't let anything happen like this again." Shatrughan nodded, "Papa was no more, Ram bhaiya, Sita bhabi and you were gone, and Mata Kaikeyi was a different person... And seeing mothers in that white color, being widows- it was unbearable. Mandavi Bhabi was stunned, Keerti was crying continuously Laksh, the whole Ayoddhya was cursing us..." Lakshman's heart ached. Bharat and Shatrughan had to go through the false accusation continuously of betraying their brother and sit on the throne for all these years. Ram himself could not get over the fact that how anyone could accuse his younger brothers as disloyal, and he did not know how to mend this for his brothers. Was not that unfortunate that in this course of years, all the three brothers were called disloyal towards Ram for one reason or another?

"But Urmila bhabi, she stood strong somehow", Shatrughan continued, "She took charge of the kingdom until we arrived, taking decisions, giving suggestions. Over the years she helped me a lot in political decisions. When we heard the news of you, being lifeless on the battlefield, it was only Urmila bhabi who did not break down for a single moment. She has an immense trust in your capabilities Laksh. She loves you more than anything, and if something happened to you, we don't know how we would handle her." Lakshman smiled dryly. He knew Urmila's love for him, and sometimes he never understood the reason. What had he done to be that fortunate? And he was burdened with grief that he abandoned her in the palace for fourteen years. He made her second priority and though they never thought, the day came when he had to choose between his brother and wife. He sought forgiveness from Urmila, though every living being in this earth knew she had no complaint against him.