Mithila Sisters

The four princesses of Mithila were going to the temple at the dawn. These sisters were inseparable from the very childhood. King Janak was standing on the balcony that gave a beautiful view of the palace garden. Whenever he saw his daughters, he used to get amused how the four elements of nature embodied his children.

The barren land of Videha saw the rain after a very long time when Sita was found. Janak could still remember the day as if it was yesterday. The baby they found within the earth while ploughing the land not only brought the luck to the land but also to the Royal family of Mithila. King Janak and Queen Sunaina were ecstatic having a child; she was a gift to them from Mother Nature. Known as Bhumija, Sita's aura was such. She was calm but a determined young lady. This soft spoken daughter of them always held everyone near her grounded, she was like a root to others; holding her near ones strongly representing the characteristics of earth.

Beside Sita, there was Mandavi. She looked as if she was still in her sleep, yawning continuously. Some months after Sita's arrival, Janak's brother Kushadhwaja gave them the good news that his wife Chandrabhaga was expecting. Mandavi was regal. She was like fire, looking aloof, not so many people dared to come near her. But once one got to know her, they knew this princess is also a source of warmth. She was very protective about her sisters, she could jump into any fight for her sisters, no matter who was they were facing, engulfing anything on the way.

Mandavi was followed by a sulking Urmila on the way to the temple. She might have slept late and now very annoyed to wake up this early morning. But she could do anything Sita asked for. Not only for Sita, Mandavi and Shrutakeerti was also her concern. She loved them unconditionally. This cheerful princess of Mithila was like the water. She was full of life, making everyone smile around her, flowing at her own pace; but in anger, no sister could match her. Her cheerful nature could transform into a destroying one in a matter of second if situation demanded.

There went Shrutakeerti, the youngest of them all. Even if she grew up as a beautiful young maiden, the innocence of a child did not left her. She was adored by her sisters, but not spoiled. She was wise for her age. Her calm demeanor was always kind and friendly. This fourth princess of Mithila was a representation of air; one which we are not much aware of consciously but cannot live without. Be it any good deeds or her sisters' prank, she always got their back.

Mandaviand Shrutakeerti were the children of King Kushadhwaja and Queen Chandrabhagaof Sankasya, while Sita and Urmila were the daughters of King Janak and QueenSunaina of Mithila. But these four sisters grew up together in Mithila. Noteven the parents could ever separate them from each other. Even the ever obedientSita took part on the plan of Urmila for not letting go Mandavi andShrutakeerti to Sankasya. Janak smiled looking at them. But then, he knew, itwas time for Sita's swayambar. Sita did not deny to follow her father'sdecision, but now he is worried what would the other sisters do once she gotmarried. Well, Urmila was already on her way of making plan either not lettingher sister get married or hide in her baggage to go with her. Mandavi wasexcited for the ceremony; it might still not hit her that Sita would go awayand God knows what would happen once she realizedthat. Shrutakeerti was crying hiding, from everyone since receiving the news,though trying her best not to show her distress.

"Didi, how you think your husband should be?" Asked and over excited Mandavi

"Didi, how you think your husband should be?" Asked and over excited Mandavi. They were coming back from the temple.

"Cannot you think anything beyond husband, romance and all these lovey dovey stuff?" Urmila frowned. Mandavi liked the idea of romance, and she was pretty bold with her words while talking about the topic. On the other hand, Urmila was on "anti-love" side, as stated by Mandavi.

Sita smiled, "I want him to be kind and wise."

"That's it? Tell me about the looks" asked Mandavi. "Oohoo look someone is blushing" she teased looking at a blushing Sita.

Urmila rolled her eyes in annoyance, "Can you stop? The marriage means Sita didi will go away from us." Here, at last she told this out loud. Sita and Mandavi's faces dropped.

"Well, technically, it is near to impossible" quipped Shrutakeerti. Other three looked at her with surprise. "Only that person who can lift the Shiva Pinaka will be the lucky one, isn't it? It seems uncle also does not want didi to go away from us", she said with a hint of happiness in her voice. Looking at an unconvinced Urmila, she continued, "Urmila didi, we don't know a single person who could lift the Pinaka till this date but only Sita didi. It needs hundreds of people even to move the Pinaka. So the person who can do this will be the best for Sita didi. So, we should be happy for both. If Pinaka cannot be lifted, Sita didi will be with us; and if it is lifted then she will get the best husband in this world, and what can we ask more than her happiness?"

At this point, Urmila could not agree more. Sita smiled widely at her youngest sister's words. Mandavi is all ready to imagine what turns her elder sister's love story would take. "May be I have to stick on my plan of hiding in didi's luggage" thought Urmila.

A/N: I wanted to show how I interpret the Mithila Sisters. For me, Sita, Mandavi, Urmila and Shrutakeerti represents earth, fire, water and wind respectively. Also tried to show their relationship and natures through the conversation which may help me build the tracks for future. Though I know this one conversation is not enough. I am sorry that this update includes all the known facts, could not provide anything exciting.

Please share your thoughts on the update and as I always say, any suggestion is welcome.

"The very center of your heart is where life begins – the most beautiful place on earth ." – Rumi