24

"You guys could always learn with me," Isla told us, pushing a lock of her wet blonde hair behind her ear. "We could learn together. It'll be fun. Plus, how cool would the three of us look when we took pictures with our surfboards"

Isla was smiling so brightly, her mouth showcasing her perfect white teeth. The sight of it made me smile, knowing how much she was enjoying learning how to surf. She had been talking about it for years, watching videos online and following all her favourite surfers on Instagram. She was finally doing it, taking surfing lessons, but now she wanted us to take them with her.

"I'm not clinging to my life by my feet on a piece of wood, when God knows what is swimming underneath," Bella hummed from her position on the towel. She was like a plant, gaining life through the sun's rays.

"Fine," Isla pouted, before turning to me. "How about it, Indie? It could be me and you out there?"

I frowned. A large part of me wanted to agree, even if it was simply just to make her happy. But, I really had no interest in surfing. I didn't see the appeal of the possibility of being thrown into the ocean at a split second notice.

"You know I love you, right?" I smiled at her, wanting to let her down gently.

Isla sighed, shaking her head, "I'm taking that as a no."

"This is your thing, Isla, but we support you! We'll be here every time, watching you from afar," I told her, grabbing her hand in mine.

"From very afar," Bella chimed in, flicking her sunglasses back over her eyes.

"I get it," Isla said, her smile didn't leave her face. "I wish you guys could feel it, though."

"Feel what?" I asked her.

"The freedom. It's like I'm flying through the air, untouched and unhindered. Like I'm unstoppable."

"Indie?" Chase's voice pulled me from the memory I was lost in.

I shook my head, refocusing my eyes. Quickly, reality came back to me. I looked at Chase, the glow of the now risen sun coating his skin, making him seem even more beautiful than he already was.

"Are we done?" I asked him, noticing that his camera was already packed in his bag. I was so lost in my mind, I didn't even remember how long we had been there.

"I think I got everything I needed," Chase said, but he didn't seem happy about it. In fact, he looked sad.

I wondered if I had failed miserably, and I'm certain I did. I'm not sure how any of the pictures could come out good, considering I had basically forgotten he was even taking them. Though, I had a better understanding of what the look on Chase's face was for, when he walked over to me.

I didn't move from my place on the still wet grass, the blanket wrapped around my arms as he approached me. He moved slowly as he crouched down in front of me. When his face was on the same level of mine, he placed one of his hands on my shoulder. The other one reached towards my face, the sleeve of his shirt brought over his thumb. I didn't know what he was doing as he began to gently wipe under each of my eyes, before I realized I was crying. Chase was wiping my tears.

When he was done, he removed his hand from my skin, but he still stared at me. His eyes darted over my face, like he was looking for something. He didn't seem to find it as he slowly shook his head, just a small motion to either side.

"I'm sorry you're in so much pain, Indie," he told me, his voice so low I was surprised I could hear it. "I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm sorry you lost Isla. I'd do anything to change it."