41

"Have you seen Asher play?" I asked Bella, who was rifling through my closet. "I mean, since the first time we did?"

"No," she told me, tossing an article of clothing towards me. "That was the first and only time."

"Hmm," I let out, looking down at the clothes she had just given me. I held up the small red dress, inspecting it closely. It looked way too much for what we had planned for the night. It belonged sooner in a night club than it did at the abandoned pool we were going to.

"Don't question me," Bella said instantly, as if she knew what I was thinking. Likely, because she did. "Have I ever steered you wrong in the fashion department before?"

"You've never suggested I wear a mere scrap of fabric to an outdoor party where your boyfriend is playing rock music," I muttered, shooting her a puzzled look.

Bella turned from the clothes she was looking at, a small smile on her face. "My boyfriend?"

"What?" I shrugged, "you don't consider Asher to be your boyfriend?"

"We haven't had that talk yet," Bella answered, her eyes glazing over slightly. "I'm not opposed to it, it just sounded nice."

"Yeah, well tell Asher to buck up and ask already," I told her, surrendering to her fashion knowledge and heading to the bathroom to put on the tiny red dress. I left the door open, so we could continue our conversation.

"I'll tell him you said that," she teased, "but... what about you?"

"What about me?" I asked her, as I slid the fabric over my head, allowing it to drop down over my body.

"What about me?" Bella mocked me, "you know exactly what I'm asking about you."

I let out a short laugh, trying to avoid her question. "You know, you're becoming more and more like Asher with each passing day."

"Don't avoid the question. Do you consider Chase to be your boyfriend?" Bella finally asked me directly.

I was silent, choosing to observe myself in the mirror instead. I looked good, with my long hair curled just perfectly, and the makeup job that Bella did sitting flawlessly on my skin. The red dress was tight silk, and it hugged my curves in a way that made it seem like it was made just for me. I looked like the kind of teenage girl that I used to be, one who had no meaningful problems. I didn't look like the girl that I felt like, one with a mind that was restless with confused and deep emotions, ones that I'm sure shouldn't be present so young.

I walked out of the bathroom, knowing Bella was going to be ready to press me on the question that I hadn't answered. Sure enough, she was sitting on my bed with her arms crossed, looking at me expectantly. Though, as she caught sight of me, she let out a short whistle, her eyes taking in her finished work.

"See?" She asked me, a smug smile on her lips. "I told you not to question me."

"You don't think it's a bit much? It looks like we're going to a club in Miami," I protested, tugging on the short dress.

"I have my reasons," Bella chimed out, inspecting her manicure.

"Yeah?" I asked her, walking back into my closet to find a pair of shoes. "What reasons are that?"

"For Chase to blow a load when he sees you," Bella said as if it was the most casual thing in the world.

"Oh my goodness, you are sick," I laughed out, my hands skimming a pair of black heels.

"Which brings me right back to the question that you so skillfully dodged," Bella continued, causing me to curse under my breath. "What is Chase to you?"