36

Chase

Have you even woken up and instantly known that you were alone in a bed, when you shouldn't be?

I haven't, until this morning.

My eyes shot open, like there was a silent alarm clock in my body going off. I was greeted by the dark, but that's not what I noticed first. I noticed my arms were empty.

They weren't supposed to be empty.

Indie was supposed to be in them.

That's how she fell asleep last night, in my arms. Her back against my chest, her head nuzzling into me. She had fallen asleep far quicker than I had, and I wasn't sure what it was due to. Maybe she fell asleep because she was exhausted, maybe I stayed awake because I couldn't bare to put an end to this moment.

I didn't want to go to sleep to dream when I was already living my dream.

But, this wasn't how my dream was supposed to end. I wasn't supposed to wake up alone.

I climbed out of the bed, tossing the wound up blankets aside. I took a minute to look around my room, noticing that her clothes were still on my floor, where she had left them last night. Though, my stomach lurched with jealousy again when I remembered they weren't Indie's clothes at all. They were Brock's. With a scowl on my face, I glanced out of my open door, seeing the bathroom door was wide open.

Confusion gathering in my head, because I had no idea where she went wearing my clothes, when she didn't have her car here. As if thinking about the word car prompted me, I walked over to the window.

My stomach lurched as I saw her. She was there, still in my clothes, her arms crossed as if she was cold. She was climbing into someone's car, and that someone only waited a second before driving away.

My heart fell to the floor, the confirmation of my suspicions causing the plummet. Was... was it that bad? That she had to run away before the sun even rose?

I ran my hands through my hair, before picking up my phone from where it was charging.

It only rang a few times before Asher answered.

"Chase?" He didn't sound like I woke him up, which was curious, considering it was before dawn.

"Man, I," I started, trying to find the words.

"Does this have anything to do with Bella leaving my bed before I was ready for her to leave my bed?" Asher asked me, and I could picture his eyebrows raising.

I swore under my breath, knowing that it had everything to do with it. "Can you just get here, please? The door's open, apparently, so just come to my room."

"Okay," Asher surprised me by not having anything sarcastic to say.

I busied myself with brushing my teeth until he got here, trying not to focus on the pain of my bruised ego, but of course the obvious question was breaking through.

What the fuck did I do wrong?

I heard Asher's footsteps coming up my stairwell only a few minutes after our phone call. I was always glad that he lived so close, but I was especially glad today. I needed someone to walk through what happened with me.

I needed help to find whatever it is that I did wrong, so I could fix it.

"What's going on?" Asher said, as he met me in the hallway. His voice was hushed, no doubt he was trying not to wake anyone.

I gestured with my head to my room, and we both went in. I closed the door behind me, shaking my head as I collapsed on my bed.

Asher hesitated before he sat, "is this bed safe to sleep on?"