37

The stares were back as Bella and I walked into our school.

And, it wasn't surprising, not after the shit I pulled yesterday. You know, the scene where I screamed at Evan in the halls and then turned my rage to undeserving crowds of students.

Though, I found myself not caring as much as I usually would. With Bella's hand clasped around mine, and the memories of Chase in my mind, the stares seemed simply insignificant.

But, there were still a question that lingered in the back of my mind, and I'm sure Bella's as well- would we forever be the girls left in grief?

Or, would the memories of our friendship with Isla fade from everyone's minds? Would we become just Bella and Indie again, or will the ghost of Isla walk these halls with us until we graduate?

I wasn't sure which thought hurt me deeper; either we would be cemented with Isla in their heads forever, or we wouldn't.

"Did you put that there?" Bella's question brought me back to reality.

I snapped my head around, my eyes searching for a clue of what she was talking about. It didn't take me long to find it, as we approached our lockers.

The white flowers that decorated Isla's locker were completely gone. Though Bella had done most of the removing the other day, there had still been a few left. Not anymore, however. Her locker was clear of the tribute left by those who didn't know her.

Instead, there was only one flower on her locker. It was right in the centre, a singular yellow sunflower.

I felt my eyes crease as I looked at it, though not in the same way that they did when I saw the other tribute. No, this one didn't make me feel uneasy. This one was perfect.

"No," I shook my head at her. "You didn't either, obviously."

"No, I didn't," Bella hummed out.

We both stood there for a minute, just looking at the pretty flower. Isla would approve. It was her, after all. Beautiful, bright, and exquisitely simple.

"I don't know who else would know it was her favourite flower," I let out, finally turning and opening my own locker.

"Maybe someone else did," Bella answered, but I think we were trying to explain the unexplainable. We both knew that only we knew Isla's taste well enough to know that.

"Well, well, well," I heard Asher's voice before I saw him. I glanced sideways at Bella, seeing her face light up with a smile.

"If it isn't the 5 am track stars," Asher continued, and I heard Bella's laugh from beside me.

"Track stars?" I asked, continuing to get the books I needed from where they were piled on the shelves.

"Yeah," Asher answered, and though I hadn't turned around to see him yet, I could hear the smile on his face. "You know, runners."

My own laugh formed as I realized what he was implying. I shook my head, pulling the last book into my arms. I started to turn around.

"We weren't running, I just needed Bella for something. How'd you even know about..." I felt my face freeze as my words stopped forming.

I had expected to find Asher when I turned, and I did. What stunned me though, was that Chase was standing right beside him. I felt my breath leave my chest as my eyes met his. He looked the same as he always did, with his skinny jeans and flannel, but somehow he looked even better than I remembered.

"Hi," I let out, feeling a blush rise to my cheeks, and I wasn't sure why. I felt nervous, but the good kind of nervous. Like there was a giggle threatening to leave my chest at any moment.