𝐨𝐧𝐞

there was once a girl who lived alone, except for a nameless dog. by the name of Melissa Wright. she held on to her cool coke can as she was absentmindedly staring at the glimmering jewels at the local jewelry store. she was supposed to wait for her best friend Sandy to go to the movie house together.

Melissa and Sandy have been friends ever since childhood, they were also both considered greasers. the majority of them, mainly boys, only did crimes, drag race, and other unwarranted activities. Melissa just found it plain stupid. she wasn't like other girls who would smoke, drink, hook up with guys, and party. she was an artist instead. when she was just sixteen, she decided to start selling art pieces at school to support herself financially after her parents died from pneumonia a long time ago.

she was snapped off her gaze when Sandy scared her. "ah!", Melissa yelled. "sorry, you were just focused on those expensive jewels", Sandy laughed. Melissa hit her arm playfully. "ok, ok. let's go to the movie house before the seats are taken", she said. they started walking their steps to the nightly double. Melissa was only thinking about the jewelry they had, she was a person of pure relish, especially fashion.

"oh, and there's someone i'd like to show you!", Sandy said as she was woolgathering. "who?", Melissa asked. "someone", she replied. they finally arrived at the movie house, a couple of minutes later, a boy came over to them. Melissa saw him as beautiful, attractive, charming, and hot. he had sky blue eyes, brown greased hair, a defined jawline, and a beautiful face. "Melissa, this is my boyfriend, Sodapop", Sandy said. that's when Melissa turned shook. she never thought Sandy would have a boyfriend, she thought she was pretty, but not for a guy.

"hi", Melissa said as she gave Sodapop a smile. he sat down next to Sandy and they had their hands interlocked. it bothered Melissa more than it could have. " i have to go feed my dog. i forgot to feed him", Melissa lied. "aw, bye. see you tomorrow", Sandy said, still keeping her gaze on the movie. "bye", she said as she stepped out of the movie house.

♡♡♡♡♡

Melissa took a fresh white canvas from under her bed, she was thinking about what to paint. she was a good thinker, but when she was bothered she couldn't think well. she was just staring deeply into her paints, blood-red, sapphire blue, and saffron yellow. she didn't have anything better to do than just stare at the wall, paint, canvas, and old paintings.

her dog, whom she called "dog" came over. "hey buddy", said Melissa as she carried her miniature schnauzer. he had grey colored fur, short nails and tail, and everything a dog could have. dog kept licking her knuckles, tickling her. "are you hungry?", she asked. he wagged his small tail.

she placed some dog food in his small yellow plate. dog started eating quickly, he was a very hungry dog. which was why he looked plump. as Melissa looked through the window, she saw another one of her best friends, Ponyboy Curtis. he was a greaser too, and the youngest in his gang which was an easier target for the socs to jump him.

socs, also short for socials. were people who lived in the west side, they had plenty of money, daddy's nice car, a pretty life, and a pretty boyfriend or girlfriend. they also loved jumping greasers for their fun. although she wasn't friends with any, they bought lots of her paintings, mainly the girls.

Melissa opened the door and shouted, "hey Pony!". he saw her and walked all the way to her door. "hey Mel, how 'ya doin'?", he asked. "i'm alright, i went to the movies with Sandy and she introduced me to her boyfriend. he looked handsome alright", she replied. "who's it?", he asked. "his name is Sodapop, i don't know if he's like us", she sighed. "that's my brother!", he smiled.

"what?", she asked dumbfounded. "Sodapop's my brother, that's his real name, even says so on his birth certificate", Ponyboy added. "oh", was the only thing she could say. "come in if you want", she said opening the door wide. he walked in and sat on the coffee brown couch. "how's your business?", he asked. "it's going well, i was able to pay the bills", Melissa sighed. Ponyboy just nodded in understandment.

"what brought 'ya outside anyways?", she asked. "i was at the lot with Johnny", he replied. Johnny was one of Ponyboy's friends, they were in a gang together and they were best friends too. a couple of months ago, he got jumped by socs, one of them who had rings, punched him in the face giving him an ugly bruise. Melissa only talked to him at school, if he didn't skip school. dog came running as he wagged his small tail. "hey", Ponyboy said as he pat his head.

"poor slob, poor slob without a name", Melissa said tiredly. "what's his name, you never told me", Ponyboy asked. "his name is dog, no biggie", Melissa shrugged. "you're weird", Ponyboy smiled. "he's all right! aren't you, dog? poor dog! poor slob! poor slob without a name! the way i see it i haven't got the right to give him one. we don't belong to each other. we just took up one day by the river. i don't want to own anything until i find a place where me and things go together. i'm not sure where that is but I know what it is like. it's like the movie house", Melissa said. "yea, i knew you were weird. don't you agree dog?", Ponyboy asked dog. he just wiggled his tail.

"how come you and Sodapop don't look like brothers?", she suddenly asked. "i don't know", he shrugged. "i mean y'all two are attractive, not sayin' that i find you attractive for me, i mean Sodapop looks so charming. ya dig?", Melissa spoke. "he works at the DX, many girls come by to flirt with him. that's where i met Sandy", he confessed. "i met him today", she said as she held on to a cup of coffee she just made. "you better not be coming up to the DX and flirt with him, he hates that.", he said. "i'm not ought to promise", she smiled.

"i gotta go, see you tomorrow", he waved. Melissa waved back. i could have the DX as my to-do list, she thought to herself as she lit a cancer stick...

 i could have the DX as my to-do list, she thought to herself as she lit a cancer stick

------------------

this is chapter one ahhh! idk if i told y'all or not, but this story is inspired by breakfast at tiffany's, one of my favorite audrey hepburn movies (few changes) i'll try to write as much as i can because school starts on monday and my GAD ain't gonna be so well. 😍

stay gold ✨

~ alma