𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

it was already a sunday, just one more day until another week of school. Melissa found school boring, except for her art class of course. when she hid in other places because she didn't feel like it. she would paint or draw on the walls or any solid surface she liked. mainly in the girls bathroom.

Melissa just woke up from a long sleep, she hated getting a beauty sleep. she found it too girly, sissy, and stupid. she hated wearing makeup and dresses, it made her look preppy. she got up, got dressed, and made coffee. dog came running to the kitchen and wagged his small tail. "mornin' dog", Melissa said. she grabbed a can of dog food and served it on his plate.

she made some piping hot coffee, which she then added some ice cubes after. she started drinking until she heard a knock on the door. "coming!", she groaned. she grabbed her cup of coffee and opened the door. it was Sodapop. "hey", he greeted. "oh hi", she greeted back. "can i come in?", he asked. Melissa nodded. dog ran up to him, surprisingly, he seemed to trust him. with other boys besides Ponyboy, he tried to bite them.

"hey dog", he said as he pat his head. dog kept trying to lick his fingers. Melissa chuckled. "so what brought 'ya here?", she asked. "oh, i just wanted to greet 'ya. Sandy's too busy anyway", he replied. "she's always busy, except for when she wants to", she shrugged. "i know. when we met a couple days ago, i was drunk and she was tipsy", he sighed. Melissa nodded for him to continue. "we got to know each other and we started going out, i think she's the one. i'm probably gonna ask her to marry me", he said.

Melissa turned envious, dissatisfied, and slightly enraged. she didn't want Sodapop to marry her, she thought they were too young. but she was also starting to fall for Sodapop, his smile, his jubilant personality, and his looks. she didn't want Sandy to marry him, she didn't even want her near him.

"why? it's too quick", she said. "look, thanks for the advice, but i don't need any of your help", he said, angrily. "i never said i wanted to help!", she yelled. "so what, i bet you're jealous", he scoffed. "what if i am?", she asked. "then cry 'bout it", he said as he walked to the door. "get out", she murmured to him. Melissa didn't want to explain her feelings to Sodapop, she knew that it was too quick.

Melissa didn't even love anyone, she didn't want to be controlled, pressured or too loved. she thought it would make her feel like an animal trapped in a cage, which was the last thing she wanted. she had seen couples: fight, go at it in their cars, make out and love. those were sights she hated.

she lit a cigarette and drank more of her iced coffee, her only things she loved. well, besides dog. "she's my best friend, god i hate her", she said to dog, who was asleep. i am crazy, but that's ok. i don't need anyone to tell me, she thought to herself. she headed to her room and got dressed in blue snazzy jeans and a cropped rockabilly yellow striped shirt. she brushed her medium length wavy hair which was a dark chocolate brown.

she didn't wear a jacket because she didn't want to, it wasn't even cold to her. so, she just went out the door. she decided that she was gonna go to the local jewelry store to look at the glimmering jewels.

sometimes, Melissa would always think of her ex-boyfriend. his name was Charles, he was a greaser too. he died from a car crash a year ago, it affected Melissa so much. they loved each other very much, they would go on picnics, dates, and even to the lake. they have never argued in their relationship. he ways brought her sunflowers, which were her favorite.

Melissa always kept all the sunflowers in a pot, a red one since it was his favorite color. Charles wanted to propose to Melissa, the day he died, he stole a ring from the same jewelry store to propose. Melissa never knew about it.

♡♡♡♡♡

Melissa started walking back home, it was about half an hour away. as she was walking, she heard people giggling. at least it's better than people "moaning", she thought to herself. but, she also found that sweet giggle more recognizable. she crawled through the bush and hid behind it, she looked up to see ..

Sandy and another boy who was not Sodapop.

Melissa felt very consternated at the sight, it was a poor sight. she knew she had to conceal it or else her friendship with Sandy would be over. which was the last thing she wanted. but, Sodapop would find out sooner or later, Melissa decided to let Sandy have that job. she walked up and cleared her throat. "hey Sandy!", she greeted. "o-oh hey, Melissa", Sandy greeted back. "who's this?", Melissa asked. "oh, this is my friend, Daniel", she smiled. "hi", she said bluntly. "hi", he said.

"well, i gotta go", she said as she walked off. Melissa walked behind a tree to see them suck each other's faces. "ew", she mumbled to herself as she walked to her house. she saw a puddle and jumped on it, she was a big puddle lover. the musty water jumped to her pants, she didn't care about her clothes getting messed up. to her, it was art. an art that's way different than Vincent Van Gogh, Pablo Picasso or Georgia O'keeffe's.

she loved to be herself, an artist like herself. Melissa Irene Wright didn't care about anyone's opinions, she knew her value and anyone else's opinion didn't matter to her.

Melissa knew she had to apologize to Sodapop after their ruckus in the morning. they couldn't just be mad at each other for days, weeks, or even months. she ran as quick as she could all the way to his house, she didn't even care if she had more mud on her pants. she only wanted Sodapop to forgive her.

-------------------

-------------------

sorry everyone! i was very busy today. so, i got my covid vaccine (1st dose) and so far my arm feels sorta numb and yeaa. i had writer's block too.

on monday, i start school which is depressing (due to trauma) last night, i had a breakdown after realizing some things while i was trying to sleep. for now i'm doing fine :)

stay gold ✨

~ alma