chapter eight

George was the first one to wake up. He was stretched out a bit and tried to be quiet as he got up. He didn't want to wake up Maya. He thought she looked very peaceful even though her hair was a bit messy. He moved the blanket so it was on her more and he went into the kitchen area to make some breakfast. He grabbed the cereal box out of the cupboard and poured some for himself as he sat down and started to eat.

He hadn't seen 'Fred" in a while which is a good thing. He took out the card and looked at it. He had forgotten that he stuck the therapist's business card in his pocket. The card read

'Mr. Gubler,
His phone number and location'

George looked at it and placed it on the table and kept eating his cereal. After a few minutes, he heard that Maya had woken up. "Good morning sleepy head" He had said.

Maya yawned a bit and responded "morning" and she got up and went over by him, sitting across from him.

"Want some breakfast?" George asked

"Sure"

George went and grabbed her a bowl and poured her some cereal, he sat back down and gave it to her.

"Thanks" Maya smiled and she started to eat the cereal.

"How did you sleep?" George asked, he didn't expect them to fall asleep on the couch, next to each other

"Pretty well shockingly," Maya said and chuckled a bit "Guess we stayed up pretty late last night."

George nodded a bit, he chuckled and said "Yeah, guess we were very tired last night" as he ate a spoonful of his cereal. He grabbed the therapist's business card and stuck it back in his pocket so that Maya didn't see it.

Maya smiled at George as she ate a spoonful of cereal. "So George, I have a question for you, and let me know if you don't want to answer it"

"Okay.." George said and he was unsure of where Maya was going with this.

"Why did you stay in this apartment for the first month you were here?" Maya asked in a cautious tone. "I mean most of us never saw you and you were like a ghost, and now you went out with us."

"It's... complicated" George softly said, and he thought about what he was going to say and then he remembered what Harry had told him yesterday. 'You don't have to go through this alone'
"When I told you about how many siblings I had, well I lied."

Maya looked at him and nodded, and was listening to him.

"I had a twin, there was this accident," George said in a small voice, he couldn't tell her about wizards and magic and the wizarding world. Not yet anyway. "He didn't survive well... You know the stereotype of twins being close, well he was like... He was my other half and his death was very hard on me so... I just decided to isolate myself to get through the grief." He put down his spoon and put his hands on the table and was tapping on the table with his finger.

"Oh" Maya softly said, she didn't know what to do. She then gently her hand on top of his and softly said "We are friends, I'm here for you"

George looked at her and mustered a small smile and he didn't know what to do. He added, "I know it isn't the best, and I'm going to try and talk to someone about what I'm feeling, a professional about this."

Maya smiled and said "That's good, I'm glad that you want to help yourself, it's always good to practice good self-care"

George nodded a bit and quickly said "and I'm sorry I just told you all that and dumped it all on you. Sometimes once I start talking it's hard for me to stop" and he chuckled after that sentence.

"It's okay, it's like a dam. Once you break it. Then it is easier to talk, well hopefully then it will be easier to talk." Maya said in an optimistic tone.

George nodded and he said "His name was Fred." he added "My twin"

Maya smiled and asked "what is your best memory of Fred?", wanting to know more about Fred but also to hopefully have George become happy when talking about him.

"Well.. my best memory has to be when Fred and I dropped out of school," George said and a grin started to creep onto his face. "We dropped out together like we did most things. It was so funny, we did this prank and pranked one of our nasty teachers at school as we left. It was so funny to see her reaction" He laughed a bit thinking about the memory. "Another good memory is Fred and I would always switch places and try to confuse our family and friends. Well in the first year of school we decided to do this prank, where we would pretend that we were not twins but quadruplets"

Maya laughed at that and she smiled asking "how did they fall for that?"

"We had different houses in our school and different ties for each house so we had to get those and then it was easy. We had a completely different personality for the two other 'brothers' we had" George said and he did air quotes around brothers. "They were named Jim and Dwight. It was one of our best pranks ever, it took the students a couple of months to figure out we were lying. Even the older students, well because our older brothers were not as huge troublemakers as Fred and I" and he grinned proudly at the end of his story.

Maya was laughing and was getting close to wheezing during the whole story, "that, that is so funny. I didn't know that you played pranks on people"

"I did tell you that you have no idea how strange I am" George laughed a bit and grinned.

Maya chuckled a bit

"What was the craziest thing you have done Gilbert?" George asked

Maya had to think about it for a moment and then said "I dyed and bleached my hair, it's not as crazy as pretending I have two other siblings, but my mom was furious. " she chuckled thinking about the memory "and worst of all it turned out bloody awful. And we had a family picture being taken the next day, I still have that picture"

George laughed a bit and said "truly crazy Gilbert"

"Hey! I wasn't a rebellious kid like you seem to have been" Maya defended herself, "I was a pretty tame kid."

George put his hands up in surrender and said "I surrender, you are the queen of crazy acts"

"Oh shut it" Maya sarcastically said but had a huge grin on her face. She looked over at the time and said "I better get going, I have work in an hour"

"Where do you work again?" George asked

"I work at a bookshop downtown" Maya smiled and said "I love it there, it's a small shop and the owners are great" as she got up and said "thanks for the breakfast"

"Anytime" George replied with a grin

Maya smiled and waved as she opened the door, she left and closed the door behind her.

George had a huge grin on his face as he went and put the dishes in the sink to clean them later. He was glad that Maya was his friend and was happy that things were seeming to get better, little by little.

He went and put his blanket back on his bed. He folded the blanket and after he did that, he took out the therapist card and grabbed his phone off the counter. He entered the number and pressed the call button.