Walter The Doll Mage

The teenager with tinseled hair rose his head sharply to the side as he began shrieking in caws in unadulterated yet sinister pleasure.

"Oh, come now, don't tell me you've never played Hangman before?" He lifted his hand to reveal the doll was attached to a string on his ring finger. He yanked his hand up and snatched the doll out of the air.

"Well, I suppose I can't blame you for being so indignant..." the boy shifted impatiently in his shoes.

In between her robes, Y/n gripped her fist hard, careful not to shake.

This guy uses a lot of big words and speaks so slow, she thought.

Walter's brown shoulder slumped and he swiveled his head around as he smothered a groan between his lips. Besides him, the only other thing that reverberated in the domed arena was the shuffling sounds of two other men, prisoners most likely tasked with carrying out Walter's every command.

"You see, I am something of a craftsman. I shape and mold the world between my fingers to my own liking."

Walter rubbed a thumb across his gloved fingers and his sparkling eyes stared hotly ahead; he was no doubt ready to begin their slaughter session.

Kurapika looked at Y/n from across the platforms as Walter spoke. His scowl had died down to a gaze full of worry that had fallen on Y/n's cute face. She had not yet experienced the cruelty of the ringmaster. She caught note of this and shot him a quick but reassuring smile. He nodded in response ever so slightly as to not receive Walter's attention.

"And so the rules to this game of Hangman are a bit distorted."

His voice echoed in the arena, and Y/n paid close attention to his every word.

"You see I have abilities that have put me at... an advantage in this wretched prison and I will display them today to you, dear contestants."

"The rules remain simple, however. I will ask you a series of questions and you will have to answer accordingly. If you get it wrong, you will not suffer, but she will. This doll I've wonderfully obstructed will represent the happy little monk's pain."

The contestant's eyes stared wide as Walter dangled the Y/n doll in his nimble fingers.

Kurapika gulped uncomfortably and steadied his hands.

How could he have created that on such short notice? There's no way he'd seen Y/n before just now... Kurapika thought.

How dare he examine her like that for his vile creation!

"For each question wrong, I will rip a limb off this doll, connected to you, Y/n, literally. Traditionally in the game of hangman, the head goes first. But, if I chop her head off she'll die... so unfortunately for the sake of this tournament, I'll reserve the head for last. Now, you might think killing her is a good way to get rid of competition, Kurapika, but if she loses all her limbs and the head, you lose. You must ensure you win, but perhaps... You can knock off a couple of her limbs so she cannot ably continue the exam. In fact, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind one teensy mistake..."

Walter eyed the doll hungrily, yanking softly at its arm with two fingers. Y/n felt an awfully sharp pressure in her arm.

That couldn't have been my imagination... she thought.

An aura of fear began to play at Y/n's head, much to Walter's satisfaction before he was interrupted.

"Your rules are loose," Kurapika said suddenly.

Walter's entranced gaze was broken with a smile, surprised that one of his contestants had finally spoken.

"Whatever do you mean?"