Shape Shifter Valley

Y/n, Leorio, Kurapika, And Gon made their way to the town bordering the harbor. Gon explained how the captain had tipped him off, making his destination the cedar tree at the top of the hill.

"But I just got a text saying the exam's in Zaban."

"But Leorio, the captain himself told him this," Y/n said.

Kurapika turned to Gon.

"Are you sure you didn't mishear him?" he asked gently.

"I didn't," Gon replied.

"Hm. Well, I say we visit the cedar tree. What's the worse that could happen?" Y/n said, walking away with Gon.

"Argh! You could miss the exam!" Leorio protested.

Kurapika began to walk backward behind Gon and Y/n, shrugging

"I'm curious to see what Gon's plan has in store for us," he said. "Besides, Y/n's behavior sort of... interests me."

"Simp," Leorio muttered under his breath.

"What was that?"

Leorio waved him away.

"I said it was nice knowing the four of you!"

"How long do you think before he decides to rejoin us?" Y/n asked.

"I'd give him a couple of seconds," Kurapika replied, and they laughed together.

She really is kind of pretty, he thought as she giggled.

"Three..." said Y/n.

"Two," replied Kurapika.

"One," they said together.

"Hey! Wait up you guys!" A voice called from behind.

"That was quick," Gon said.

"Eh- well, I didn't want to leave you guys alone. Besides, traveling alone gets lonely."

The group followed Gon and made their way through a ghost town.

"God, it's like no one's here," Leorio said, shivering.

"No, there's plenty of people here," Gon replied.

Suddenly, a group of masked strangers appeared before them in a makeshift stage.

"It's time for the exciting multiple choice quiz!" a woman cried, her old voice cracking.

Y/n, Gon, Kurapika, and Leorio only stared blank-faced.

"I assume you're wanting to reach the cedar on the hill. Well, first you must pass this quiz. You get five seconds to answer one question. If you get it right, you move on."

"I see, It's another trial before we make it to the exam," Kurapika said, placing a hand to his chin.

"Oh brother," Y/n pouted, "I hate quizzes." She wasn't particularly good at them.

"Don't worry y/n, I happen to be great at quizzes- wait, one question?!" Leorio said.

"You may answer with one or two."

"Wait so, if Kurapika here for example gets it wrong we all fail?!"

Kurapika's brows lowered irritably.

"Not very likely, but if the roles were reversed, it'd be all but inevitable," he said, shrugging playfully.

Y/n snickered like a Yamaguchi to Tsukishima.

Gon smiled awkwardly.

"It's okay!" He interrupted, "even if one of us gets it right, we all pass. And good thing, since like Y/n I'm real bad at quizzes."