Chance Encounter

Y/n and Leorio finally clambered up the ship. A bell swayed from side to side, indicating the ship was to leave.

Y/n approached the side of the ship, her shoes hitting the wooden floorboards. She stared at the city, which was sparkling in the distance. Further ahead, past a long patch of trees, she could see a single manor with the lights still turned on.

She sighed. As much as they had helped her at the Elder's Manor, she was so excited to finally get a change of scenery. Life had become so monotonous. Waking up on time, organizing manor activities, working outdoors, filing bills... it had become an excruciatingly boring life.

"Missing home already?" Leorio said, approaching from behind.

"That wasn't my home, really." she replied.

"Where are you from, then?"

"Far away from here. It doesn't exist anymore."

"Oh, sorry about that... So you were a vagrant?"

Y/n wasn't offended.

"For the past couple of years I was hired at the Elder's estate. But for a long time before I was... something like that."

"Well you don't need to worry, now that we're friends, you'll never be a hobo again!"

Y/n looked at him. "Friends?"

"Sure!" he smiled, slapping Y/n on the top of her back, almost making her cough. She pushed him aside.

"Blegh, try not to kill me, dumbass," she said irritated.

"I think I'm finally getting to see the real you." he said, smiling.

"I was strictly taught not to open up too quickly." she replied.

As night fell upon them, the stars began to shine down on the boat swaying in a vast, open ocean.

"We have one more stop for tonight!" The captain said to one of the crew members.

Leorio and Y/n had taken an available room with another passengers. Y/n laid on a mat on the floor, which she had explained to Leorio was a common practice for those of her tribe, which Leorio argued was unnecessary suffering if you have a bed.

"You really don't want me to get into stoic philosophy, Leorio, I won't finish until dawn." she had said.

"Well, the day after tomorrow should be our last day at sea," Leorio said, reading a magazine.

"Cool. I'm so bored." Y/n said, laying on a mat. "I don't even wanna do anything to stop my boredom, I just want something exciting to happen, you know? Hey, can I read what you're reading?"

Leorio turned around in his cot sharply. "No, you cannot read what I'm reading!"

If she knew what it was she wouldn't be asking! he thought.

"Fine, you don't need to be so mean."

She got up from the other side of the room, standing with her hands dramatically on her hips. "Well, I'm going to go see the new batch of people to scope out... the hotties!" she exclaimed, running out the door.

Leorio fell off his bed, "Hey wait!"

Y/n ran up the side of the ship. "Look!"

The landscape seemed more whimsical than Grandeiro, where many different colored lights shone from several neighboring cities. A couple dozen of new passengers began boarding the ship.

"Ugh, they're all middle-aged men," Leorio said.

Y/n snickered. "I was only kidding about checking out the new passengers, weirdo."

"Now you're just trying to make me look bad," Leorio muttered.

"I'm going to go get a closer look," Y/n whispered.

She swiveled around and stepped into the direction of the front of the ship, only to narrowly miss colliding with someone.

He looked at her and narrowed his eyes. He was a little over five and a half feet tall, with blonde hair past his chin and large, cat-like brown eyes. Loose golden hairs swayed a bit from the sea breeze. He was so close she could smell his scent.

He took a step back.

The stars above them reflected in their eyes, and lights from the city danced lazily on their faces

The stars above them reflected in their eyes, and lights from the city danced lazily on their faces. They were both beautiful.

"Um, excuse me, are you-?" the girl said after second, startling him from his thoughts.

"Pardon me," he said, passing her swiftly.

Hm, Y/n thought, watching him leave.

"Hey, you're blushing. Guess he's pretty hot, huh?!" Leorio teased, elbowing her. She ignored him.

"I sensed something weird about him... something sad in his eyes."

Leorio dropped the act.

"You're really good at reading people."

"I was taught."

"But you can be hard to read sometimes, you know."

"I know. Now hush, I'm thinking."

"More like daydreaming about blondie."

"Oh, shut up!"she said, knocking the back of his knee with her shoe, making him nearly stumble.

Y/n could still see the boy on the other side of the ship, alone.

She wondered why she had gotten such a strong flash of sadness from just a look in his eyes; it intrigued her. She hadn't even gotten the chance to read his heart.

What was in him that was so heartbroken and forlorn?

Did you know?

Y/n is canonically beautiful, so whoever you are, you are beautiful!

I appreciate every one of your reads and votes! Love y'all, stay safe.