Long Distance Running And Other Tribulations

The four rookie Hunters finally arrived at Zaban City. One of the Kikiros, Janero, led them through the city to the front of a large, glittering building. It stood several hundred floors high, an extravagant display of luxury and grandeur.

"This is where the exam will commence," Janero called from a distance.

"Wow..." they all said. The four of them looked around at each other, eyes bright with anticipation.

"This is where people from all over the world come to take the official Hunter Exam," Kurapika said in awe.

"It's huge!" Gon concluded.

"Uh-oh, not there guys, over here," Janero said, pointing to a small restaurant next door.

They all turned to look at a small but cozy restaurant. Kurapika and Y/n eyed each other.

"Oh... right. We knew that," Y/n said.

They entered into a crowded restaurant. There were lazy clouds of smoke from some sleazy customers and the heavy aroma of greasy food coated the restaurant's atmosphere, making all four of them fall in love with the air.

"Smells good, huh?" Y/n said, looking at Gon who stared at the dishes. "How about we all get a huge, delicious meal together once we pass the exam?"

He nodded gleefully and they high-fived excitedly.

"I can't wait, Y/n!"

She beamed. Kurapika caught a glance and couldn't help staring. Leorio nudged him a little. "Could you quit gawking and pick up the pace?"

Kurapika shook him off, irritated.

Janero ordered a special meal combo and a cook nodded in response.

A passcode... Y/n thought.

"Combo for four, huh?"

Finally, Janero led them to a backroom.

"You know, I really hope... I get to help you all next year. Good luck."

Janero said and closed the door.

"I can't wait for that food he ordered!" Gon said.

Y/n smiled at Gon's naivety.

"That was just a code to get us inside, Gon," Kurapika said.

"Oh, well... alright, so what now?"

"Now we wait-" y/n said before the room started shaking and moving.

"It's an elevator!" Leorio said.

"I can see that," Kurapika replied.

"Rad. I'm gonna take a rest," Y/n said, taking a seat next to Gon.

Leorio scowled. "I bet that guy was betting on us failing!"

"Once every four years... that's how often a rookie passes. Most can't handle the physical and mental pressures."

Y/n raised her brows and whistled a little.

"That must be who people will risk it all to become a Hunter," Gon said.

"Exactly!" Leorio exclaimed, standing up. "Being a Hunter means making more money than anyone in the world!"

"Wrong!" Kurapika shot back. "People become hunters to join the most noble profession!"

"Shut up, brown-noser!"

"Selfish money hog!"

Y/n only chuckled, which Leorio hated when she did.